WiiSXR

All WiiSX related discussion here
Locked
sindrik
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:13 am

WiiSXR

Post by sindrik » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:03 am

WiiSXR
Website: https://github.com/Mystro256/wiisxr

Fork of wiisx, a GameCube/Wii/Wii U PSX emulator.

The starting point for this code base will be daxtsu's libwupc mod of wiisx, which is in turn based off of Matguitarist's "USB mod5".

Please see the following link for details:
viewtopic.php?t=2524

WiiSX is GNU GPL and the source can be found here:
https://code.google.com/p/pcsxgc/downloads/list

LibWupc is also GPL, which can be found here:
https://github.com/FIX94/libwupc

Please contact me if you have licensing concerns. I will try to make this as GPL2+/3+ compliant as possible.

Reporting Bugs

Feel free to report bugs, but if you can, please test pcsxr first, to elimate redundant bugs. If it's not a bug in pcsxr, but a bug here, report it here if desired. I would hope this can be as alligned with pcsxr as possible, so any bugs in pcsxr will be inherited unfortunately. If it is a bug in pcsxr, feel free to report bugs with pcsxr... Please note that I am not affiliated with them, so meantioning me or wiisxr is unnecessary and unadvised to avoid confusion.

As well, I can't guarentee this project will be a success, unless I can get some help! So if you have any programming skill, feel free to fork me and check the Goals section!

Goals

The aim of this project is to maintain, update and improve the wiisx code to comply with building with the latest devkitPro (PPC), website can be found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/devkitp ... devkitPPC/

Some Goals in mind:

[*] Fix build warnings and errors (see Gamecube/build.log for details, seems like it could be optimized better too)

[*] Remove Gamecube specific code and remake gui with libwiigui (easier to change, update and fix. Plus it's all draw with gx. Also this needs to be rebranded, as the wiisx logo and name does not belong to me)

[*] Update with code from pcsxr (Take as much as possible from pcsxr development... unfortunately the wii is limited and some fixes cannot be ported: http://pcsxr.codeplex.com)

[*] Improve plugins (perhaps replace them?)... e.g. cdrmooby28 has some optimization and possible heap issues. As well, maybe an opengl plugin can be ported to gx (with the help of something like gl2gx).[/i]

Don't forget to fork me if you want to contribute! :) I'm open to collaborators!

How to Build

If don't have the build system setup yet, see "Build System Guide" first

Just cd into the Gamecube folder and run

Code: Select all

make
I used a symbolic link directed at Makefile_Wii, as there are two makefiles: Makefile_GC and Makefile_Wii. Just running make should build the wii version, but use the following if this doesn't work

Code: Select all

make -f Makefile_Wii
or to build it for gamecube:

Code: Select all

make -f Makefile_GC
Build System Guide

I realize many people know how to build on devkitPro, but here's a guide for noobies:

Code: Select all

export DEVKITPRO=$HOME/devkitPro
export DEVKITPPC=$DEVKITPRO/devkitPPC
export PATH=$PATH:$DEVKITPPC/bin
and if you want to add the manpage path too:

Code: Select all

export MANPATH=$MANPATH:$DEVKITPPC/share/man
Feel free to add this to your ~/.bashrc, but know the consequences of doing this.

Downloads

I'll try to keep the latest working build in the Gamecube folder. Please note this is a big work in progress and is not guarenteed to work.

Here's the link, just replace your current boot.dol file in the apps/wiisx folder (i'll get a better download going later on):

https://github.com/Mystro256/wiisxr/raw ... /WiiSX.dol
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4376
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: WiiSXR

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:41 am

Best of luck :)
Image
User avatar
ShadowOne333
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 am
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: WiiSXR

Post by ShadowOne333 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:26 pm

Awesome! :D

This emu was abandoned for a long time, good to know that someone else is going for an improvement for it. :)
May I ask how often do you submit changed to the repository or how often do you release builds?
Are you going for nightlies or just updating when you get the chance?
sindrik
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:13 am

Re: WiiSXR

Post by sindrik » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:41 am

ShadowOne333 wrote:Awesome! :D

This emu was abandoned for a long time, good to know that someone else is going for an improvement for it. :)
May I ask how often do you submit changed to the repository or how often do you release builds?
Are you going for nightlies or just updating when you get the chance?
Just reporting. Let's hope the dev looks around this forums. So far, there's a light at the end of the tunnel with this nice fork.
carnage
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:23 pm

Re: WiiSXR

Post by carnage » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:58 pm

So you will continue the project?
sindrik
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:13 am

Re: WiiSXR

Post by sindrik » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:03 pm

carnage wrote:So you will continue the project?
Mystro256 will, he is the current developer
User avatar
tt_stopwatch
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:45 pm

Re: WiiSXR

Post by tt_stopwatch » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:17 pm

carnage wrote:So you will continue the project?
Thats fantastic

Ive never had a Playstation 1, so theres A LOT of stuff ive missed

I got WiiSX-R yesterday and im loving it. Some games work, some games dont. But its amazing to finally be able to play an PS1 emulator on a tv. With the Wii classic controller. Without the need to deal with settings, and pairing controllers, and screen resolution, and shaders(?), and
User avatar
DTK.21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:43 am

Re: WiiSXR

Post by DTK.21 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:40 am

I know there's a github link but is there a link for recent changes being made or any threads, forums, etc
User avatar
nakata
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:54 am

Re: WiiSXR

Post by nakata » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:46 pm

Same here, i only see some changes made 2-3 months ago in the above link?
Image
Daruda
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:03 am

Re: WiiSXR

Post by Daruda » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Hey Nakata,

If that's the only changes you're seeing that means the dev (Mystro256 in this case) didn't have the time / motivation / to continue on it yet :mrgreen: .

However, good news - changes in the github around 10 hrs ago :D . I'm really happy Mystro is out there lone wolfing it 8-) - progress is progress. I'm honesty (very pleasantly) surprised people are still working with / devving for / playing the old Wii - I still enjoy mine on a regular basis (mostly as emulation station, but still planning to continue some games like Rune Factory 1 at *some* point lol (oh what a shameful confession to make for a grown man hahah ).

Anyway, let's keep practicing our patience and sing praise to the lone wolves out there creating and sharing stuff for all of us to enjoy !
User avatar
DTK.21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:43 am

Re: WiiSXR

Post by DTK.21 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Thanks for the notice though the green smiley face made me doubt continuation a bit but if it's been recently updated then that's a start and hopefully doesn't "finish" shortly
tueidj
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:57 am

Re: WiiSXR

Post by tueidj » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:22 pm

I wouldn't get your hopes up, just looking at the latest commit (change doubles to floats) he doesn't really seem to know how to optimize.
mikesmeister789
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Re: WiiSXR

Post by mikesmeister789 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:13 pm

tueidj wrote:I wouldn't get your hopes up, just looking at the latest commit (change doubles to floats) he doesn't really seem to know how to optimize.
Perhaps you could provide him with some insight on how to go about doing that? You've been involved with the Wii homebrew development for quite some time, so maybe you could give him some pointers on what he could do ;) Just an idea :mrgreen:

And hey, at least someone's picking it up, right? Better than having it abandoned, leaving it to rot and die methinks :mrgreen: Haven't seen this much activity with WiiSX in years :) If the Wii can achieve full speed GBA emulation via effective optimization, surely, one can squeeze out more optimization with the PSX emulation scene, that, and he's the only working on it for now, hope more those who have experience with the Wii scene can jump on the bandwagon
User avatar
ShadowOne333
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 am
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: WiiSXR

Post by ShadowOne333 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:04 pm

mikesmeister789 wrote:And hey, at least someone's picking it up, right? Better than having it abandoned, leaving it to rot and die methinks :mrgreen: Haven't seen this much activity with WiiSX in years :)
Pretty much that.
Glad to see that someone is giving the emulator a try to improve it.
mikesmeister789
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Re: WiiSXR

Post by mikesmeister789 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:16 pm

ShadowOne333 wrote: Pretty much that.
Glad to see that someone is giving the emulator a try to improve it.
Definitely, I'll give it time, and I've been following its progress, as it has been a few years I believe.
tueidj
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:57 am

Re: WiiSXR

Post by tueidj » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:47 pm

mikesmeister789 wrote:Perhaps you could provide him with some insight on how to go about doing that? You've been involved with the Wii homebrew development for quite some time, so maybe you could give him some pointers on what he could do ;) Just an idea :mrgreen:
Sure thing, the_randomizer. I'll get right on that as soon as you stop making dupe accounts on here and acting like a douchebag on the internet in general.
mikesmeister789
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Re: WiiSXR

Post by mikesmeister789 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:08 am

tueidj wrote:
mikesmeister789 wrote:Perhaps you could provide him with some insight on how to go about doing that? You've been involved with the Wii homebrew development for quite some time, so maybe you could give him some pointers on what he could do ;) Just an idea :mrgreen:
Sure thing, the_randomizer. I'll get right on that as soon as you stop making dupe accounts on here and acting like a douchebag on the internet in general.
Excuse me? Aren't you the tactless whiny prick that had that assumed the WiiSXR dev "doesn't seem to know what he's doing with optimization" just on the other page?
And I'll be looking forward to seeing them :D At least he doesn't let his emulators die off into oblivion after not having any updates in five years, unlike other developers we know of.

That's the pot calling the kettle black, but whatever.

And I quote from page one
I wouldn't get your hopes up, just looking at the latest commit (change doubles to floats) he doesn't really seem to know how to optimize
You were saying? Either prove you can help contribute something to help the dev, or you can shut that fucking, festing orifice you call a mouth.

Come back when you learn how to not be an egocentric douche and contribute to this project and help it.
Last edited by mikesmeister789 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
ShadowOne333
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 am
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: WiiSXR

Post by ShadowOne333 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:16 am

mikesmeister789 wrote:Excuse me? Aren't you the tactless whiny prick that had that assumed the WiiSXR dev "doesn't seem to know what he's doing with optimization" just on the other page?
And I'll be looking forward to seeing them :D At least he doesn't let his emulators die off into oblivion after not having any updates in five years, unlike other developers we know of.

That's the pot calling the kettle black, but whatever.
Where's the like/+1 button for this forum?!
I want to upvote that shit. :D
mikesmeister789
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Re: WiiSXR

Post by mikesmeister789 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:18 am

ShadowOne333 wrote:
mikesmeister789 wrote:Excuse me? Aren't you the tactless whiny prick that had that assumed the WiiSXR dev "doesn't seem to know what he's doing with optimization" just on the other page?
And I'll be looking forward to seeing them :D At least he doesn't let his emulators die off into oblivion after not having any updates in five years, unlike other developers we know of.

That's the pot calling the kettle black, but whatever.
Where's the like/+1 button for this forum?!
I want to upvote that shit. :D
Well, I figured it was a matter of time before that has-been Wii developer assclown tried to call me out :lol: :lol:
User avatar
megalomaniac
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:33 am
Location: Drunk in Texas
Contact:

Re: WiiSXR

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:33 am

.....and people wonder why wii64 threads always end up being locked....
seems like the same shall be expected for wiisx threads from now on....

might be better off for both subforums to be completely locked up again as they were in the recent past...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Locked