Dolphin is not working for Windows 10

Discuss emulation on the Gamecube here
Readmit

Dolphin is not working for Windows 10

Post by Readmit » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:11 am

I am having severe issues with Dolphin emulator. I have tried everything I can to rectify the issue. I tried deleting everything related to Dolphin and deleting all of the registry entries that contain Dolphin in them. I have downloaded the so many different versions, beta versions, the stable 5.0 version (which is the only one that works but doesn't work with Action Replay), and developer versions. All apart from the 5.0 crash in a white screen when I try to run a game or when I just x out of the Dolphin emulator, it hangs for a while and crashes requiring me to force close it in task manager. Please help. The people at Dolphin forums ignored my question.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Dolphin is not working for Windows 10

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:22 pm

You probably have some kind of hardware limitation or driver/operating system incompatibility. State what your hardware / OS setup is like?
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:54 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:22 pm
You probably have some kind of hardware limitation or driver/operating system incompatibility. State what your hardware / OS setup is like?
I don't have any hardware limitations, my computer kicks Dolphin's ass. Everything was working fine for 2 years, I don't know what happened.

Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Processor/CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core
Video Card/GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080
Memory/RAM: 64 GB DDR4
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 5.0-16520
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:29 am

Still no answers.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:18 am

I hate to say it, try a new windows install.
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:03 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:18 am
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:49 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:18 am
Guess what! I resolved the issue. Ha, reinstall Windows! What kind of person would ruin their entire Windows setup just to use an emulator like Dolphin, because the developers could care less about helping users?

I just found the solution by complete chance while reading "How to use the Official GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U in Dolphin" found at this link: https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/how ... u/#Windows

I went to the Windows section of this page, and there were two download links for two older versions of Dolphin: 5.0-10617 and 5.0-2472. I downloaded both, but the older one which is version 5.0-10617 which can be downloaded at this link https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/master/5.0-10617/, was the one that prompted me to do an update. I updated it and am now running the latest version which is 5.0-17995, and none of the games are white screening. Okay, now I'm running the latest version of Dolphin with no white screen issues, what does that mean? It means that all the development and beta versions on Dolphin's main download page (which I tried many of them) all result in white screen, whereas this older version which was hidden worked just fine. That means to me that Dolphin is not including something in their newer zipped folders which allows them to work as they should, unlike these older files that do work, but are hidden and difficult to find. Ha, reinstall Windows, lose everything, start all over again, just for Dolphin! That ain't happening.
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:19 pm

Looks like I was wrong, I didn't resolve the issue. After updating, the games are white screening again. If I stick to using 5.0-10617 it doesn't white screen, but if I update it, it does. My bad.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:47 pm

Readmit wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:49 am
Ha, reinstall Windows! What kind of person would ruin their entire Windows setup just to use an emulator like Dolphin, because the developers could care less about helping users?
Calm down and just consider doing a clean install on a Virtual machine, no need to format your whole PC, Virtual Box is free, among many others. ;)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:59 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:47 pm
Calm down and just consider doing a clean install on a Virtual machine, no need to format your whole PC, Virtual Box is free, among many others. ;)
Is there a possibility that, in the worst case scenario, the slight CPU/GPU workload is giving a false sense that the problem somehow persists?

At these times it's good to have an extra HD... In fact, I think it's mandatory to preserve important data.

I would also try to restore the system. But I think people often disable this.
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:36 am

Andross89 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:59 pm
Papy.G wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:47 pm
Is there a possibility that, in the worst case scenario, the slight CPU/GPU workload is giving a false sense that the problem somehow persists?

At these times it's good to have an extra HD... In fact, I think it's mandatory to preserve important data.

I would also try to restore the system. But I think people often disable this.
I tried system restore among many other potential fixes. It's not my PC's fault, it's Dolphin. There's something wrong with the program itself now, because this older version that I found in the page that I linked works without white screening, as does version 5.0. I'm just going to stick with the 5.0-10617 version that I found and not update it. Whenever I update it, all the games white screen like before. As for VirtualBox, I see no reason to use that. It requires devoting system resources to it, and I don't want to install Windows 10 on top of Windows 10. Plus, wouldn't it require a second product key? I just have the one.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:00 am

Readmit wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:36 am
I tried system restore among many other potential fixes. It's not my PC's fault, it's Dolphin. There's something wrong with the program itself now, because this older version that I found in the page that I linked works without white screening, as does version 5.0. I'm just going to stick with the 5.0-10617 version that I found and not update it. Whenever I update it, all the games white screen like before. As for VirtualBox, I see no reason to use that. It requires devoting system resources to it, and I don't want to install Windows 10 on top of Windows 10. Plus, wouldn't it require a second product key? I just have the one.
This shouldn't be a problem. This is temporary. So, the trial version is for that.

The problem with using one system over the other is creating exceptions during performance. Windows loves this.

But the Dolphin problem is something normal because it is done by many people. Use the old version, report the problem and wait. Just like Swiss...
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:05 am

Andross89 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:00 am
Readmit wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:36 am
This shouldn't be a problem. This is temporary. So, the trial version is for that.

The problem with using one system over the other is creating exceptions during performance. Windows loves this.

But the Dolphin problem is something normal because it is done by many people. Use the old version, report the problem and wait. Just like Swiss...
I found version 5.0-16853 is working with no white screening, for now, and it came out July 11, 2022. I downloaded it from this website https://dolphin.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions. September 30, 2022 was when I first started this forum thread, so I think around this time period, there was an update that just didn't agree with my system. I'll let you guys know if I have any problems with 5.0-16853, but I ran a bunch of games so far and it hasn't white screened. I won't be updating it, for obvious reasons. The one that came out after it on the list is 5.0-17243, dated Aug 26th, 2022, and that one white screens, as do the ones that follow it. 5.0-16853 is a pretty recent version, so it's better than the one I was using earlier, which was 5.0-10617 that came out 3 years and 6 months ago.
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:54 pm

Guess what, I found the cause of the issue. It's the GameCube Adapter for Wii U. When I unplug it, the latest version of Dolphin which is 5.0-18498 doesn't white screen when I run a game. If I plug it back in as the game is running, it recognizes the adapter, but if I stop emulation then try and run the game again, it white screens and crashes Dolphin. For sure this problem is related to the adapter. What do I do to resolve this issue? Can someone please help me?
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:00 pm

Actually, when I unplug the entire bus that the GameCube Wii U Adapter is plugged into, the games stop white screening. That bus shares several different video game controllers. It could be any one of them that is causing the white screen.
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:07 pm

So here's the issue. I own 2 GameCube USB adapters. One is the Official Nintendo Switch to GameCube adapter, the other is a Raphnet GC USB adapter. They are conflicting with each other and causing Dolphin to white screen.
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:23 pm

The crash is controller related. When I unplug both adapters, I can select my N64 controller attached to a Raphnet adapter from the Standard Controller options and it doesn't white screen. But if I select from the Standard Controllers option my Keyboard and Mouse or my SNES controller attached to a Raphnet adapter that also white screens. If the GameCube to Wii U adapter is selected it causes a white screen, unless the game is already running and I plug it in. This is controller related.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:44 pm

Readmit wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:07 pm
So here's the issue. I own 2 GameCube USB adapters. One is the Official Nintendo Switch to GameCube adapter, the other is a Raphnet GC USB adapter. They are conflicting with each other and causing Dolphin to white screen.
I have this type of adapter.

I don't use them directly in emulators. I have Xpadder installed, I choose which keyboard keys will be used by the joysticks and I configure the emulators as if I only had the keyboard installed. Resolves several issues I had with compatibility. You could try this because I think the rumble function doesn't work in Dolphin, right? It wouldn't make a difference then.

I also changed the driver for these joysticks to "HID-Compilant Device". But I don't use Windows 10 and I don't know if that option still exists.

Perhaps, by doing this, Dolphin will still recognize the adapters. In this case, you need to disable drivers related to these adapters before starting the emulator. And then activate them, obviously. There is a chance this trick won't work.

I hope your power supply isn't overloaded with these adapters. Even more so if you are connecting the rumble function unnecessarily. I've had some problems since I bought this type of adapter.
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:28 am

Using Dolphin version 5-0-16853 doesn't have any problem. It's only when I update it to anything above this that the issue reoccurs. Rumble does work with the GameCube Wii U adapter.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:20 am

Readmit wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:28 am
Using Dolphin version 5-0-16853 doesn't have any problem. It's only when I update it to anything above this that the issue reoccurs. Rumble does work with the GameCube Wii U adapter.
I understood. I thought you had recently purchased the adapter.
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:06 pm

The people at the Dolphin forum could care less. They haven't responded to this issue at all.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:30 pm

Readmit wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:06 pm
The people at the Dolphin forum could care less. They haven't responded to this issue at all.
I think it's time to go after who owns these adapters.

They are, or used to be, popular with Super Smash Bros Melee players. There must be forums dedicated to this game, people who play using Dolphin and these adapters with more experience.

Someone might be interested in reproducing your problem. Or have already resolved.

Maybe it's just a simple change in some key in the Windows registry...