VBA GX unofficial

Discuss emulation on the Gamecube here
piratesephiroth

Re: VBA GX unofficial

Post by piratesephiroth » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:33 am

emu_kidid wrote:It's slow because the backing store (SDGecko) holding the loaded ROM file needs to block the CPU to get data out and into a memory cache for the rest of the emulator to read.

If we had a spare 32MB to fully load the ROM files into I'm sure it'd be a lot faster. (If it's not already using ARAM + SDGecko + Virtual Memory)
GBA emulators don't run always at 100% speed even on the Wii (Metroid games lag a bit, for example).
And if low RAM makes things slow, why is it working so nice on the PS2 with its 32MB?
Or maybe the USB 1.1 ports are faster than the SD card slot?
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:44 pm

USB 1.1 is 1.5 or 12 Mbps. GameCube EXI is 3.2 Mbps. So USB 1.1 is definitely faster. I don't know about the Wii SD slot though.
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:08 pm

I still don't get this unofficial update.

What's IDE-EXI and WKF?
What differences or improvements were made into the main performance of the emulator?
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:06 pm

The ide-exi is as its name suggests an adapter to connect ide hard drives (maybe DVD too ?) into the memory card slots. Wkf is Wiikey Fusion (the DVD drive emulator modchip, and with the WODE the fastest way to load stuff).
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:11 pm

piratesephiroth wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:It's slow because the backing store (SDGecko) holding the loaded ROM file needs to block the CPU to get data out and into a memory cache for the rest of the emulator to read.

If we had a spare 32MB to fully load the ROM files into I'm sure it'd be a lot faster. (If it's not already using ARAM + SDGecko + Virtual Memory)
GBA emulators don't run always at 100% speed even on the Wii (Metroid games lag a bit, for example).
And if low RAM makes things slow, why is it working so nice on the PS2 with its 32MB?
Is it using a MIPS dynarec or something?
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:03 am

emu_kidid wrote:
piratesephiroth wrote:

Is it using a MIPS dynarec or something?
Yes, it uses MIPS dynarec.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:14 am

Well there you go, I doubt the GC/Wii VBA ports use anything like a PPC dynarec.
sindrik

Post by sindrik » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:04 am

Gamecube here. When i compress the executable VBA GX 001 with dollz 3, the soon it starts VBAGX the message "Loading DVD --> Unable to locate a load device!" appears. If you try to load the SD slot again, it reads "SD card not found", retrying does nothing. If you try to go into settings, it crashes. All the needed folders for the emu are present in the SD

Same results with untouched-uncompressed dol
Aressi

Post by Aressi » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:33 pm

try to delete config file
sindrik

Post by sindrik » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:38 am

Aressi wrote:try to delete config file
No config file was present and the SD was freshly formatted before. Official release works ok
sindrik

Post by sindrik » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:39 am

sindrik wrote:Gamecube here. When i compress the executable VBA GX 001 with dollz 3, the soon it starts VBAGX the message "Loading DVD --> Unable to locate a load device!" appears. If you try to load the SD slot again, it reads "SD card not found", retrying does nothing. If you try to go into settings, it crashes. All the needed folders for the emu are present in the SD

Same results with untouched-uncompressed dol
New finding: it works only in slot A! But after you load a game (i started with Metroid Fusion), if you return to Main Menu, the message "Error opening directory!" appears, and retrying does nothing. If you cancel, the rom list gets populated with many folders named with special characters, all the same. It doesn't hang, but the only thing that can be done is pressing the exit button. When i open the emu again, for example, and load Game & Watch gallery first, i can load Metroid Fusion after, but the game is only a black screen.
bearteam wrote:megalomaniac, can you port the optimizations(TILED_RENDERING, https://github.com/libretro/vba-next/co ... 42a5003ca0) from VBA Next by libretro team, Vba-m team to Gamecube?
It is said that with TILED_RENDERING, most game runs at full speed on Wii. The optimizations have been ported to XBoyAdvance v24b03, and it speeds games a lot.
RetroArch has a vba-next core for Gamecube, but due to RAM size problem, it doesn't work at all(crashes after ROM is loaded).
With TILED_RENDERING ported to your unofficial VBA GX, I think many games could be more playable on Gamecube.
Out of curiosity, is this possible or feasible?
sindrik

Post by sindrik » Sun May 10, 2015 3:58 am

Well, guess what? It was the SD card, all this time. I'm using a different one, a 1gb microsd with adapter. Is there a logic behind that? The dvd loading error and stuff, why would it trigger that? Why does the official version load in the problematic sd card? (or your fceugx build)