Snes9xGX unofficial

Discuss emulation on the Gamecube here
megalomaniac

Snes9xGX unofficial

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:28 am

Code: Select all

08/01/2013: ( Unofficial Version 0.0.1 release by megalomaniac )
--------------------------------------------------------------
based on Snes9xGX 4.3.2 source by tantric
http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gx/source/checkout
svn r721

[NGC]
- WKF support added
   . load roms from FAT formatted SD card in WKF slot
   . no write support: save settings and progress to other device
- NTSC widescreen (480i/480p autodetect)
   . default video display setting for gamecube
   . change setting in video menu if you dont like it
- EXIT Menu button now defaults to "reboot" not PSOload
   . WKF users: hit pin29 switch to avoid DRE on reboot

[NGC/Wii]
- IDE-EXI support added
   . load roms from HDD
   . SlotA or SlotB selectable device
   . write support not yet added, save settings and progress to other device
- Settings.xlm updated to allow selection for new devices
   . added devices include IDE-EXI and WKF
   . settings.xml cannot be saved to these devices

Thanks emu_kidid for borrowed swiss WKF & IDE-EXI code

Code: Select all

[NGC/Wii] - please delete your settings file from SD / USB / SAMBA or SD GECKO card before first boot
[NGC] - the config file "settings.xml" can only be saved and loaded to/from SD Gecko

IDE-EXI and WKF: see below
     FIRST BOOT OF THIS VERSION:
        1. if found, browser will default to display contents from SD Gecko slot
           else browser will default to device manager menu
        2. Go to "Settings"
        3. Configure settings options for Load Device
        4. "Go Back"
        5. "Go Back"
        6. EXIT

SECOND BOOT
        1. if found, browser will default to display contents from PREFERRED LOAD DEVICE
           else browser will default to device manager menu
snes9xgx-001-GC.7z
Snes9xGX v0.0.1 GC unofficial
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 1092 times
also:
Snes9xGX v0.0.1 Wii unofficial
Attachments
icon.png
(7.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Ashen

Re: Snes9xGX unofficial

Post by Ashen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:13 pm

This is amazing Mega, thanks for breathing some life into these Emu's!

Unfortunately I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, so won't get to test these out for more than a week. :/
deckard

Post by deckard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Very nice work, mega! Thanks for the update, widescreen support is particularly appreciated.
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:50 am

This resource code of Snes9x 1.43 - GX Edition 0.1.1beta is much better than the one you used to port.
Snes9xGX based on Snes9x 1.53 is slower than Snes9x 1.43 on Gamecube.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:20 am

thanks for the info but thats not really my concern at this point... i am really looking for feedback from anyone with an IDE-EXI or WKF to test these emulators to confirm there are no load bugs, save bugs or anything bugs i may have missed which will interfere with these new devices from being fully functional...

after device compatibility has been confirmed, then maybe i can do some investigation on other areas for improvement...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
tesla246

Post by tesla246 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:30 pm

After SDML SD gecko broke, i tried using SNES9x-GX using wasp fusion. Upon startup however, I am welcomed by this error message:

Does anyone knows what might be the cause of this? I've tries reflashing swiss, reformatting the sd card, setting the region settings on wasp itsel to ntsc, but no dice.

My settings are:
Wasp fusion, 32 GB SDHC card, class 4, brand: integral
Swiss latest nightly build: 283
NTSC revision 1.1 (tried it on a pal cube as well)

All the gamecube games ive ripped (smash and double dash only as of yet )load up perfectly.
Dream mod: HI-speed port device utilizing 4:4:4 RGB 32 bit colour, 720p video and variable refresh rate. :shock:
Favourite mod: GC Loader flashed with latest swiss.
Eagerly awaiting a normal, form-factor wise, wireless controller with rumble. :)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:11 pm

that is happening because snes9xgx is looking for settings.xml file but cant find it...and since WKF/WASP is read only, the emulator cannot write a settings file to the WKF/WASP slot...
this is part of the changes i will be making later so the emulator can have a default config to avoid this type of startup crash

Image Image Image
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:05 am

tesla246 wrote:After SDML SD gecko broke,
How did your gecko break? Is possible you might be able to fix it, there really isn't much in them.
tesla246

Post by tesla246 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:10 pm

megalomaniac wrote:that is happening because snes9xgx is looking for settings.xml file but cant find it...and since WKF/WASP is read only, the emulator cannot write a settings file to the WKF/WASP slot...
this is part of the changes i will be making later so the emulator can have a default config to avoid this type of startup crash
Ah ok, thought so but still hoped it worked since I had the settings.xml present on the sd card from SD gecko, which later broke, but thanks for the answer.
Duhasst0 wrote:How did your gecko break? Is possible you might be able to fix it, there really isn't much in them.
It stopped registering the sd card (even though it worked fine on my computer). I red up on how gamecube through the pin 1-12 connection recognizes a memory card. So I tried soldering that connection (alltough my soldering skills are sub-par, the connection looked ok), but it still didn't work and I eventually threw out the damned device in frustration. :lol:
Dream mod: HI-speed port device utilizing 4:4:4 RGB 32 bit colour, 720p video and variable refresh rate. :shock:
Eagerly awaiting a normal, form-factor wise, wireless controller with rumble. :)
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:32 pm

Got ya, well I know that the sd gecko doesn't have much in it but the sd card slot, was gonna offer some assistance with repairing it, but since it's gone, you can totally make a new one, a how to is in the wiki.
tesla246

Post by tesla246 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for the offer, but i ordered a few from ebay for few bucks, soldering isnt really my forte anyway.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:50 pm

Yeah it can be a pain some times. I am not the best but I have gotten better. Takes alot of practice man, so I say keep it up. Try working on some dead pc mother boards or ram.
tesla246

Post by tesla246 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks for the advice, my computer is almost dead ;)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:27 am

i took a quick look at the code to refresh myself why i never added that feature..
on startup, the emulator tries to initialize devices and i wanted to avoid the emulator thinking the WKF/WASP was an actual DVD drive which i think is the cause for crashing...

so if i remember, a user would have to load the emulator from SD gecko once
then change / save settings for WKF/WASP as default load location...with these settings in place, this allowed the emulator to startup the filebrowser from WKF/WASP sd card...

the main problem is WKF/WASP are read only devices, like a DVD drive...
so there is no way to save game play unless SD Gecko is used...this means you would have to play Zelda ALTTP from the beginning every single time...

...but if thats what you want to do, then try this:
snes9xgx-002.7z
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 889 times
let me know how it works (if it works) so i can make a few more minor changes

Image Image Image
tesla246

Post by tesla246 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Wow you are amazing mega, it is working perfectly for me as of yet without the need for SD gecko. I have ordered a sd gecko, but with wiikey fusion alone, I can still play a select number of SNES games that don't need saving (like magaman X; password system and star fox, which I usually finish in 45 minutes anyway). Thanks for rewarding my impatience and sorry for the trouble.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:49 am

this version checks to confirm if WKF/WASP actually exist before attempting to mount...
Attachments
snes9xgx-003.7z
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 856 times

Image Image Image
sindrik

Post by sindrik » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi megalomaniac. I've been using your 0.0.1 unofficial version and it looks/plays great on my Wii. Would you consider adding libsickaxis and libwupc support to this? (and maybe updating to r722 in the process) Thanks.

[same for all your unofficial updates like NeoPop, NeoCD redux, FCEultra, Hugo GX]
karl_oz

Post by karl_oz » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:45 pm

bearteam wrote:This resource code of Snes9x 1.43 - GX Edition 0.1.1beta is much better than the one you used to port.
Snes9xGX based on Snes9x 1.53 is slower than Snes9x 1.43 on Gamecube.
I'd like to get back to this for a second. I've tried these three SNES emulators side by side:
- Snes9xGX unofficial 0.0.3
- SNES9X 1.43 GX 0.1.1b
- snes9x_next

Out of these SNES9X 1.43 runs best by far! The downside is, that it a) runs the games in letterbox mode (not fullscreen) and b) doesn't support SD cards bigger than 2GB... which makes it kind of unusable overall :(

Snes9xGX 0.0.3 on the other hand is a great emulator with very good features. But, as bearteam has stated, it runs the games too slow. So, megalomaniac: if you could implement the code of SNES9X 1.43 into Snes9xGX unofficial (if possible), that would be awesome!

http://code.google.com/p/snes9xgx143/
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:40 am

1.43 is implimented from back in 2008....
i think what you might be asking is to strip latest source all the way back to recompile with SDHC and video modes however more will have to be changed just to make it compatible with latest libogc....and these newer versions of libogc might be the cause for slowdowns as ive come to discover with neocd...

with neocd only the very minimal necessary was changed to allow successful compile with latest libogc, and that in itself broke speed...i imagine the same happened here...while i was able to perform tweeks to neocd to compensate, it still does not run as fast as compiled version from 6yrs(??) ago...

Image Image Image
karl_oz

Post by karl_oz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:56 am

Too bad!
Well, I don't have the slightest clue about stuff like libogc, but i guess SDHC support is only possible with it?? Bummer.

Since it sounds, like there is nothing you could do solve the speed problems straightaway, would it be possible to at least change the video mode/aspect ratio in Snes9x 1.43 - GX Edition 0.1.1beta? It would be great to have at least one emulator with fullspeed and fullscreen support. Could you take a look into that part of the code? Please?
sindrik

Post by sindrik » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:08 am

Gamecube here. When i compress the executable SNES9X GX 003 with dollz 3, the soon it starts SNES9x the message "Loading DVD --> Unable to locate a load device!" appears. If you try to load the SD slot again, it reads "SD card not found", retrying does nothing. If you try to go into settings, it crashes

Same results with untouched-uncompressed dol
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:02 am

Do you have all the appropriate directories on your SD card?
sindrik

Post by sindrik » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:06 am

Yes, totally. I even tested the last official release by Tantric, no problems there
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:10 am

sindrik wrote:Gamecube here. When i compress the executable SNES9X GX 003 with dollz 3, the soon it starts SNES9x the message "Loading DVD --> Unable to locate a load device!" appears. If you try to load the SD slot again, it reads "SD card not found", retrying does nothing. If you try to go into settings, it crashes

use 0.0.1
i think 2 and 3 were targeted for WKF devices

Image Image Image
sindrik

Post by sindrik » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:55 pm

megalomaniac wrote:
sindrik wrote:Gamecube here. When i compress the executable SNES9X GX 003 with dollz 3, the soon it starts SNES9x the message "Loading DVD --> Unable to locate a load device!" appears. If you try to load the SD slot again, it reads "SD card not found", retrying does nothing. If you try to go into settings, it crashes

use 0.0.1
i think 2 and 3 were targeted for WKF devices
0.0.1 does work. Only tested uncompressed.