General possibility of emulating 5th gen consoles (N64/PSX)

Discuss emulation on the Gamecube here
Doomkeks

General possibility of emulating 5th gen consoles (N64/PSX)

Post by Doomkeks » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi,

I have been mocking around with N64 emulators (cube64 and not64) and a PSX emulator (cubeSX) on my gamecubes lately.
Method is booting Swiss from DVD and the execute the emulator from SDGecko.

Since the results were never anywhere near bugfree emulation I wondered if 5th gen emulation on the cube is more like a proof of concept than a realistic, enjoyable thing to do?

cube64/not64:
half of the tried games dont run at all, some others more or less buggy. FZero kind of playable, when you ignore the wrong textures on the vehicles and the constant audio glitches.
Games I tried: Doom64; Turok; FZero; Conkers Bad Fur Day; Mario Party

cubeSX
Only tried Valkyrie Profile so far. Horrible audio glitches, choppy/slow sequences, game errors general. That kept me from trying other games.

Am I the only one?
Does the Wii perform better on this?
Does using different Playstations Bios'es affect the performance of the emulator somehow? (Since it runs even without including any bios file in the dedicated directory)

Thanks for you replies!!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: General possibility of emulating 5th gen consoles (N64/PSX)

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:50 am

The Wii definitely performs better in both emulators. The cube ports were meant to be playable but for most games are not.

PSX emulation needs a hardware GPU plugin to be ported for speed and something other than SD Gecko to read asynchronously from (for CDDA Audio for example)

N64 emulation needs a core rewrite to perhaps use some more inaccurate but faster methods of emulating the core (like SDK function level wrapping).

In short, I wouldn't really consider either emulator playable on GameCube, maybe for a very limited handful of games.
Doomkeks

Re: General possibility of emulating 5th gen consoles (N64/PSX)

Post by Doomkeks » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:09 pm

Thank you that helps a lot!