Genesis Plus GX

Discuss emulation on the Gamecube here
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Genesis Plus GX

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:26 am

Genesis Plus GX
Author: eke-eke
(taken from http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/)

This is an enhanced port of Genesis Plus, an open-source & portable Sega Mega Drive / Genesis emulator, originally developed by Charles MacDonald, now running on Gamecube and Wii through libogc & devkitpro.

The source code, initially based on Genesis Plus 1.3, has been heavily modified, with respect to initial goals and design, in order to improve accuracy of emulation, implementing new features and adding support for extra peripherals, cartridges & systems hardware.

The result is that Genesis Plus GX provides very accurate emulation of the systems it supports and has 100% compatibility with Genesis / Mega Drive, Sega/Mega CD, Master System, Game Gear & SG-1000 game libraries (including all unlicensed or pirate known dumps), even supporting backwards compatibility modes when available.

Last but not least, it comes with plenty of exciting features and options that have nothing to envy to your most favorite PC emulators and makes this emulator the most faithful experience for any Sega 8/16-bit fans.

Multi-platform code is maintained through SVN so that other Genesis Plus ports can take advantage of it, as I sincerely hope this emulator can become a reference for open-source and accurate Genesis emulation. If you ported this emulator to other platforms or need help porting it, feel free to contact me.

For more informations, please read the Wiki or the included User Manual.

If you like this project and would like to support it, you may donate via Paypal. You can also contribute to further development by donating equipments such as additional controllers & debugging tools to improve port development, as well as console hardware (Model 1 Master System, Game Gear, Model 1 Genesis, Mega CD, CDX, 32x, etc) & development tools to run test on real hardware and improve emulation accuracy.

Not liking how Classic Controller feels ? Looking for a wireless retro-adapter to use your old control pad with retro emulators ? Give this open-source project a look: http://www.brunofreitas.com/?q=node/35

Image Image
Image Image
Web site:
http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/

Download:
http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/downloads/list

Mirror:
genplus-gx-1.7.1.7z
(2.28 MiB) Downloaded 1323 times
Cubelover

Re: Genesis Plus GX

Post by Cubelover » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Latest compiled revisons (r436)

*removed*
Last edited by Cubelover on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 pm

I heared eke-eke didn't want the latest svn build distributed..

I can verify they work great though, what a nice emu. All it needs is Mega CD support and I can die happy :)
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:17 pm

RetroRepair wrote:I heared eke-eke didn't want the latest svn build distributed..

I can verify they work great though, what a nice emu. All it needs is Mega CD support and I can die happy :)
Are you sure? Do you have a source? Oh well, the sourcecode is available for free though.
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:32 pm

From this page:http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/wiki/Compiling
However, I would appreciate if you respect the following points:

* current SVN build should always be considered as unstable and work in progress: you are free to compile the current source code but don't complain about bugs and don't make any public binary distribution from this. You can always get the last stable code from the tagged versions.
* you can modify the sourcecode as you want but in order to keep this project clean and structured, I would ask you to keep ANY private build for yourself and to avoid public distribution of derivative works. If you think the modification you made should be implemented in an official release, please contact me: I would eventually include them and obviously give all the credits to you.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Oh, right. I will remove them. However I wonder when he is going to release another stable release because the last one is from 2008..
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Well he adds to the SVN every few days so it's at least still very active. It can't be too long before a full release now, the new GUI is looking pretty solid now.
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:43 pm

Cubelover i'm not sure if it's revison you uploaded but I have one called just genpus.dol instead of genpus_cube.dol it doesn't show the fps at the menu once you've loaded the dol and code dumps when you try to change the control pad settings, it also does that on the loader / system reboot irc.
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:28 pm

Just tried rev 502, is it normal for the saves from past revisions to not work with newer revisions? loading saves from rev 473 result in DSI exeception error screens.
dmbjunky

Post by dmbjunky » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:57 am

I can't get this emulator to recognize my roms. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
infact

Post by infact » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:55 am

You should post some more useful information ;-)

-> Does the emulator show the files at all?
-> Are the roms in the right folder?
-> Any error messages?
-> blabla
infact
Image Image
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:33 am

also check to make sure your not using romsets in 7zip
there is no 7zip support for this emu...and the developer does not intend to add support.
try extracting individual games to /roms directory and try again

from http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/wiki/Features
Comment by psy...@holycrap.org, Jun 20, 2010

Master System, Game Gear and 7zip support would be great, yes. :)

Thanks for all your emulation work!
Comment by project member ekeek...@gmail.com, Jun 20, 2010

7zip support will never happen, to much instability and problems on a platform like the Wii, for very little benefits. Better clean up your romsets from all these variants/hacks/bad dumps that you are never going to play anyway. Storage space should also not be a problem nowadays.
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
inukaze

Post by inukaze » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:16 am

The lastest version are great but when i press "Exit" to "Return to loader" , the Gamecube are
Reboot

======================================================================
If possible , all programmers , can make a new multi-emulator , for Gamecube & Wii , using the source code of "Mednafen WIP" ??? , i use that emulator under (Arch)Linux i think its genial.

The source can be downloaded from Here : http://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=4&

Another thing , i think its better , if all emulators , like : Fceuxgx , Snes9xgx , vbaxgx , genplus , smsplus , cube64 , wiisx , all have the same methor to Return to Menu , using the Gamcube controller.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:10 pm

updated original post for version 1.7.1 which now emulates Sega CD and full CDDA audio on GC/Wii!! :)
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:13 am

emu_kidid wrote:updated original post for version 1.7.1 which now emulates Sega CD and full CDDA audio on GC/Wii!! :)
weeeeeh! didn't notice there was a new version. that's pretty awesome. finally some sega cd. do we know about the X32 compatibility?

//edit: nevermind, just found it somewhere in the wiki. someone was asking for it - doesn't seem to be that easy
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
karl_oz

Post by karl_oz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Version 1.7.4 is out - now with OGG support for Sega CD games :)
http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/dow ... z&can=2&q=
deckard

Post by deckard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Really awesome to see this emulator still getting updates :D
MarioMania

Post by MarioMania » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:46 am

To bad there won't be any 32X support
stomp_442

Post by stomp_442 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:01 pm

Version 1.7.5 is out for Wii and GC.

https://bitbucket.org/eke/genesis-plus- ... er/builds/

changes

[Gamecube/Wii]
---------------
* added configurable BIOS & Lock-on ROM files
* added configurable NTSC filter
* added configurable FPS display & toggleable fast-forward key combo
(HOME + MINUS with Wii controllers or R TRIGGER + START with Gamecube controller)
* added 50hz progressive mode (576p) support for emulation
* reduced SRAM files size
* improved A/V Sync: when VSYNC is enabled, audio resampler output rate is now adjusted (+/-0,1 %)
to always keep audio & video synchronized and input lag is reduced by one frame.
* improved GX video rendering (fixes screen tearing when VSYNC is disabled)
* improved ROM browser scrolling speed and added support for Classic Controller +/- buttons for page scrolling
* improved Cheats Menu
* fixed bug with PICO pointer
* fixed lightgun crosshair & CD leds positionning when using NTSC filter
* fixed low-pass filter menu setting
* various code cleanup & optimizations

[Gamecube]
---------------
* improved progressive mode switch request on startup when component cable is detected
* disabled simultaneous multiple .ogg files opening (fixes crashes caused to RAM size limitation)
* fixed broken DVD support

[Wii]
---------------
* added support for Wii U Pro Controller
* added Wiimote pointer calibration in Menu settings
* added configurable Wiimote timeout
* added game auto-load support through DOL args (compatible with "Wiiflow" plugin arguments)
* fixed support for 3rd-party classic controllers with invalid calibration settings