Couldn't create this in the appropriate forum, so here it is :

Neo Geo CD Emulator
Attachments
NEOGEO CD.rar
(369.23 KiB) Downloaded 1937 times
RetroRepair

Re: Neo Geo CD

Post by RetroRepair » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:08 am

Wow, didn't know this one existed! Going to give this one a go, thanks ;)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:02 am

It requires the neocd.bin bios which shouldn't be posted here for legal reasons, keep it in mind!
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:02 am

Hmm it doesn't support loading from SD.. :(
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:11 pm

It's quite a dated emulator, way before SDGecko existed in libOGC.. maybe it needs to go on my list of stuff todo..
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:19 pm

emu_kidid wrote:It's quite a dated emulator, way before SDGecko existed in libOGC.. maybe it needs to go on my list of stuff todo..
that must be one hell of a list...
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
RetroRepair

Post by RetroRepair » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Good man!
julius

Post by julius » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Here you have a version that loads via sd, exclusive for gamecube:http://www.emuwiki.com/index.php?title=Emulation_on_Wii.
Download the redux32 file and place it in the root of your card, also put the bios folder and the games folders, and bon apetite.Instructions are the same as the mini-dvd version.
I have tested Metal Slug and KOF 98 and works perfect, but I could not save the game.
julius

Post by julius » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Update:After several days playing, I have noticed the emulator save the game, but I don´t know how I did it, I don´t know if it´s when I pushed the L button or because I already finished the games.
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:24 am

julius wrote:Here you have a version that loads via sd, exclusive for gamecube:http://www.emuwiki.com/index.php?title=Emulation_on_Wii.
Download the redux32 file and place it in the root of your card, also put the bios folder and the games folders, and bon apetite.Instructions are the same as the mini-dvd version.
I have tested Metal Slug and KOF 98 and works perfect, but I could not save the game.
Emuwiki is gone.

Is there another link for the optimised GameCube with SD loadiing version.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
julius

Post by julius » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:55 pm

wii_HD wrote:
julius wrote:Here you have a version that loads via sd, exclusive for gamecube:http://www.emuwiki.com/index.php?title=Emulation_on_Wii.
Emuwiki is gone.

Is there another link for the optimised GameCube with SD loadiing version.

Well, I hope you are good in french http://www.metagames-eu.com/forums/game ... 84783.html
Enjoy.
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks Julius.

Does this emulator support SDHC or 2GB and below cards.

I followed directory structure but having no luck - and yet I got NeoRage to work over a decade ago :oops:

The emulator boots and says insert memory card and press A.

/BIOS/NEOCD.BIN
/NEOGAME/IPL.TXT and all other data files
/NEOGAME/MP3/TRACK02.MP3
/NEOGAME/MP3/TRACK03.MP3
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
julius

Post by julius » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:45 pm

wii_HD wrote:Thanks Julius.

Does this emulator support SDHC or 2GB and below cards.

I followed directory structure but having no luck - and yet I got NeoRage to work over a decade ago :oops:

The emulator boots and says insert memory card and press A.

/BIOS/NEOCD.BIN
/NEOGAME/IPL.TXT and all other data files
/NEOGAME/MP3/TRACK02.MP3
/NEOGAME/MP3/TRACK03.MP3
I have tested it in a 2gb card and it works. Make sure to put your sd gecko in slot 1 and a memory card in slot 2. Now that we are talking about forgotten emulators, have you made to run the advance mame? I´m frustated that ps2 has a mame emulator but I cannot play mame games on my cube. I´ve have tried with my 2 gb card but no results, maybe I have to try with smaller cards.
Well, I hope you have luck with the emulator.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:32 am

Not sure if anyone else had any issues trying to use this emu but it really amazed me how little or no documentation I could find on the web concerning how to use this emu. Maybe its common knowledge for some who have been around for a while, maybe its not...but for new guys like me, its not common knowledge and I really got my ass handed to me while testing this emu.

So in case anyone else had/has issues, here are my findings:
I tried three different versions via SDcard with SDload and Swiss but could not get past the message to "insert memory card, then press A." I also made a SDLOAD bootable disc with an injected NEOGEO CD BIOS w/GAME files, same problem.

I decided to make three bootable discs with each version of the emu but I was still stuck at the same memory card message. I decided to focus on getting the boot disc only version working to eliminate the SDcard from the equation. I needed to at lease verify I had the correct file structure for the game. It took some time but after playing I figured out the pattern and determined the key to successfully get this emu running.

Afterwards, I applied the same method via SDcard and everything worked with 2 out of the 3 emus (as expected).

Bootable disc only version:
neocdredux-0.1.50 03/27/2007
md5sum ae12229fdefc0ef5121722e3c25fcda3

SD compatible versions:
redux32 08/02/2007
md5sum b0846c3f88dd68de7890789f2cd5722d

neocdredux-0.1.52A 08/02/2007
md5sum 917afcf9ce7aa5bfcb0e66bb7f76d5d5

The key to making this emu work is to start the one of the SD compatible emus listed using your normal SD loading method with your SDcard in slotA. When the message appears to "insert memory card then press A", reseat your memory card in slotB or insert your memory card into slot B.
Press "A" and the message displayed will show "Mounting Media", then "loading BIOS", then the file browser will appear.
Scroll up/down to the desired game directory and press X to load.
If your game structure is correct, the game will start up and let the fun begin.

on a side note:
I started to question if getting this emu to work properly was user error on my part since I have not received any further messages during startup regarding insert memory card, mounting, or loading BIOS with the memory card already in slotB. The emu would just work with no further issues/messages.
I decided to try a different memory card.
Once I started the emu I received the "insert memory card" message. Turn off power, put original memory card back into slotB, start emu and it works again. Turn off power, insert second memory card and received same message.
This appears to indicate the emu writes something onto the memory card to make it ready for use and setting up the card is a one time only event for each memory card..
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
infact

Post by infact » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Nice findings, megalomaniac!
I never used this emulator, i did not know it existed. ;-)

Can someone point me to the latest source code of this emulator...maybe i find time to update it to compile with the latest libogc (sdhc support...etc)
infact
Image Image
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:11 pm

I use SDML to boot the emulator from slot B with an official memory card in slot A works no problem. Its a really nice emulator too.

Only chore is having to rename all the .mp3 files to track02.mp3 etc etc.
julius

Post by julius » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:33 pm

@infact :If that´s the problem, maybe I can help : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KJBBQZD2 .

It´s great that programmers decide to update old glories like this emulator, one of my favorites because I can play The King of Fighters...btw, do you know any way to launch advance mame for gamecube different of gc-linux method, wich I cannot make work? I can play KoF until version 99, but not KoF 2000 and beyond. I hope to be useful this time.
infact

Post by infact » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks julius!

I am able to recompile it now.
- removed old samba / sd support
- added new sd(hc) support with libfat
- fixed compiler errors
infact
Image Image
infact

Post by infact » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:47 pm

Ok, I got it working...

It is able to start from sd(hc) card now.
Gameplay is smooth, exept for ingame file loading.
There are some audio issues left:
- no mp3 support, this crashes the emulator (-> threading)
- Audio DMA scratches sometimes

But despite of that, it works fine.

I created a repository at bitbucket for this project.
https://bitbucket.org/infact/neo-cd-redux.
This will be the new home of this emulator.
infact
Image Image
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:28 pm

Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidou Retsuden (RPG) could not run on REDUX 1.52A.
And all MP3s on SD card could not play for a loop, they will only play once. but if you put MP3s on DVD, they will replay automatically.

infact, can you fix these 2 bugs ?
julius

Post by julius » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:41 pm

Uhm, I remember I ran this game on my gamecube (Samurai Spirits RPG), I deleted it because is in japenese and it had no sound; the same problem with sound in KOF 99. Do you think it could be fixed, infact?

Thanks.
infact

Post by infact » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:07 pm

Game compatibility should be the same as in 0.1.52A. (its the same core :D)

I think full support for Samurai Spirits RPG will be a major task.
There is an extra patch for it in neo-cd redux, but it does not work correctly.
I know that it is also not running in neo4all.
If it is possible to run it in gngeo/neoraine/etc then it might be easier to see how they have done it. ;-)

I will look into the sound issues, because I have to implement a new way to play the cdda tracks anyway.

You both may file a report here: https://bitbucket.org/infact/neo-cd-redux/issues/new
infact
Image Image
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:24 am

It is said that samurai spirit RPG runs well in neoraine, and the game loads much faster than real hardware.
infact

Post by infact » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:09 pm

Can you tell me some games that you have tested back then with 0.1.52A from softdev and that were working fine?
So I can test them with my modifications.

Thanks in advance!

For example Puzzle Bobble / Bust-a-Move works like a charm ;-)
Aero Fighters 2 works, too.
Pulstar, Metal Slug 2 and some other games I tested do not work correctly. It goes ingame, but when you take control it hangs.
-> Have to investigate this issues.
Last edited by infact on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
infact
Image Image
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:36 am

KOF 97-99 works great except for the sound issue.
In fact, all games that need sound track to play in a loop have the same problems - the music track only play once then become silent, until next music track plays.