Neo Geo CD

Discuss emulation on the Gamecube here
megalomaniac

Re: Neo Geo CD

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:08 am

loaded 0.1.52A from SD...
all games loaded from SD...
all audio converted from wav to mp3 @ 192.0kbits/s & 44100 Hz using ffmpeg...

The following games appear to play correctly with no hang issues & no sound issues:

Code: Select all

Aero Fighters 2
Aero Fighters 3
Alpha Mission 2
BustAMove
CyberLip
Ghost Pilots
IronClad
King Of Monsters 2
Last Resort
Magical Drop
Magician Lord
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Mutant Nation
Ninja Combat
Zentrick

infact, i see there is no precompiled dol at bitbucket
are your modifications stable and ready to be compiled and tested??
( only asking because i wont have the chance to compile for the next few days, else i would have already compiled... )
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
infact

Post by infact » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:58 am

Thanks for your testing, megalomaniac.

Generally all changes commited to my repository are unstable, but the newest changeset available will always compile and is tested by me.
If I have stable and working changes, I will add a tag to the changeset and upload the binary.
The reason why I dont have a beta version uploaded for now, is because of a bug in the program that I wanted to get rid of before.
There is a problem with the video ram that is emulated, with a lightweight game like bust-a-move it does not matter, but a heavier game will freeze right after the start (when the sprites start moving).

I can upload an alpha version here, but remember that it wont work for most games.
infact
Image Image
torturelabs

Post by torturelabs » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:57 pm

How do I get this to work exactly?
julius

Post by julius » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Hey infact, I was browsing the web and I saw Wii Neo Geo CD Emulator now supports mp3 that so much headaches have mde you feel all this time, maybe they have the key you need to make the same in gamecube. Here is the link : http://gbatemp.net/t299808-neogeo-cd?st ... try3899465

Keep the good work.
infact

Post by infact » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Gnah, why gbatemp? :( I checked wiibrew and googled before I started this. There was nothing. Now there a hundreds of entries related to their releases. I spend hours on the blackscreen issues and things they have also done.

NeoCD Wii Changelog:

0.4 - September 22, 2011

fixed all black screens.
    MP3 music now works.
    some enhancements and more options in menu.

0.3 - September 16, 2011

fixed some black screens. Now almost all games should start. Still some black sreens with some games and gfx bugs.
    fixed classic controller support.

0.2 - July 11, 2011

initial port (Jacobeian)
So we worked on almost the same things at the same time, such a waste of time... :(

I checked their source code and will implement some of their mp3 related changes plus some modifications, so there will hopefully be a working gamecube release soon.
infact
Image Image
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:29 pm

infact dont be so down.

Look at it this way perhaps the thread interest over here inspired others toward a wii port.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
wiimpathy

Post by wiimpathy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:58 am

Hi everybody !

First, I understand you could be a little upset infact. I didn't know someone else was working on NeoCD redux and if so I would have contacted you first.
I was planning this port for a long time now, but wasn't very confident and a little scared to make an awful version for this beautiful console.
Thanks to jacobeian and his 1rst version, I fixed those really annoying (and I'm polite) mp3 and video bugs.

Maybe if you're interested we can help each others to fix remaining bugs (my fixes aren't perfect) and to add some features ?
However, I don't have a gamecube so can't test it.
Moreover, you may know some things better than I, so it could be useful. Perhaps you want to change the GUI too and I'm not very good at designing stuff (to say the least).
Anyway, contact me if you want (your help is welcome) or go on with your gc version since I won't do it.
infact

Post by infact » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:53 am

Hey Wiimpathy,
it is nice to hear from you... (I was just about to register at gbatemp to get in contact with you) ;-)
I am not upset that you and jacobeian did a Wii port, but that I didnt see that there is such a project.
Then I would have offered my help on this, because I already fixed most of the compiler warnings and some other things.
I saw your nice fixes to the mp3 and freeze issues, but there has to be a better solution to fix the background sprite issues.

Yes I want to add a nice gui to this emulator, libwiigui from Tantric (see snes9x-gx, fceu-gx, vba-gx for examples), but there have to be some major rewrites in the emulator audio and video parts for that.
Also there are some code cleanups necessary (some things are confusing and not well documented).
I have also looked through the sources of neoraine, neo4all, neocdz, neocd sdl, njemu and gngeo, there are some clues for further enhancements.

So here is the deal: If you are interested in creating "NeoCD GX - the Neo Geo CD emulator for Gamecube and Wii", then I would be pleased to start this project with you. Maybe jacobeian also wants to join us.

If not, maybe we can just create a repository for our changes and provide a working version of NeoCD Redux / NeoCD Wii for both Wii and GC.
Last edited by infact on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infact
Image Image
julius

Post by julius » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:34 pm

He he, when I posted that message I did not expected to join two guys aiming the same porpouse, but now that I see it could be a good omen. This is what we could say is team play.It is a shame I could not help you with another thing but source code. Maybe if someday I learn about programming I could give you a hand. Keep the good work guys.
disaster3ad

Post by disaster3ad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:03 am

Hi,
nice to see you guys working on this project (especialy, that you came from a different direction to the one point :) (GC\Wii)
I would try to setup devkitPro to compille the project. Infact, can i use your Makefile with an updated devppc and
libogc or i should add some more settings\libs?
(Sorry for lame english)

With a greetings from Russia! :)

edit:
I've cloned you REPO and tried to build the project, but
it seems that i missed at least two libs - libz80 and libmc68000, cant find it for devkiPPC (WinXP)
infact

Post by infact » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi disaster3ad,

the Makefile and source code are updated to run under the newest devkitppc and libogc available (at least they should ;-)).
The missing libraries are included in the source code. Just run a "make cpus" first.

However the version on bitbucket is not updated and does not include mp3 support and some other changes yet, cause i didnt have the time yet.
infact
Image Image
disaster3ad

Post by disaster3ad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi, infact!

Ya!

F:\devkitPro\examples\gamecube\NEO\neocd_infact>make cpus
make[1]: Entering directory `/f/devkitPro/examples/gamecube/NEO/neocd_infact/src/m68000'

*** Musashi 3.3 ************************************************************

Musashi v3.3 68000, 68010, 68EC020, 68020 emulator
                Copyright 1998-2000 Karl Stenerud (karl@mame.net)

Generated 1961 opcode handlers from 512 primitives

d:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\bin\powerpc-eabi-ar.exe: creating ../../build_cpu/libmc68000.a
make[1]: Leaving directory `/f/devkitPro/examples/gamecube/NEO/neocd_infact/src/m68000'
make[1]: Entering directory `/f/devkitPro/examples/gamecube/NEO/neocd_infact/src/z80'

*** Mame Z80 Core **********************************************************
    Copyright (C) 1998,1999,2000 Juergen Buchmueller, all rights reserved.

d:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\bin\powerpc-eabi-ar.exe: creating ../../build_cpu/libz80.a
make[1]: Leaving directory `/f/devkitPro/examples/gamecube/NEO/neocd_infact/src/z80'

F:\devkitPro\examples\gamecube\NEO\neocd_infact>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

F:\devkitPro\examples\gamecube\NEO\neocd_infact>make

*** Compiling NeoCD Redux ****************************************************
linking ... neo-cd-redux.elf
output ... neo-cd-redux.dol
*************************************************************** Yay! \o/ ***

F:\devkitPro\examples\gamecube\NEO\neocd_infact>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

did not tested yet, but it was builded! :D

Thanks a lot,
I was blind about make cpus!

Dont worry i see you have no time, me too. But i've tried to compille an other sources of this emu and got
a lot more errors. Your project are updated to use proper:
opendir
closedir

instead of
diropen
dirclose
etc ..

at least, i am glad now! :)
wiimpathy

Post by wiimpathy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:25 pm

Well, if you're still interested infact and have improvements that would be great. To be honest, I'm not very interested in a gamecube version for a simple reason : I don't have one to test! So, you can merge my fixes if you want. Also, I think the priority is not a libwiigui interface but rather bugfixes and features.
I've made some progress but as I wrote on gbatemp I'm not satisfied with video (do you know GX functions?) and losing a little interest.

To sum up I didn't want to make something serious but just a working emu. However, I loved neogeo (especially aes the "real one" !) so I don't want to add shitty code.
Contact me if you want and have ideas (by pm would be better to avoid useless post like this one).
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:32 pm

There is a little Arkanoid beta homebrew game (just four levels - no sound) which works with the Neo CD emulator.

Tested on GameCube and wii.

http://neogeodev.txaresoft.com/
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
julius

Post by julius » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Hey infact, I know the project is actually dead, but since my megaupload link for the source code is actually broken, could you give me a link where I can download it agian?.
The matter is that the memory I stored it got corrupted, so would like to have it again because I do not remember from where I downloaded it for first time.
infact

Post by infact » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:45 pm

well, maybe this project is dead... who knows... maybe there only is a wii version... who knows... maybe i made some changes and expect payment before i will release them. ;-)

BUT i think the only problem is, that i just focused on other things and projects in the last few months.
Things in real life are more important than any coding stuff (at least for me), but when i have the time, i have to prioritize my projects. On the top of the list is currently mame, just because i am a big fan of it. neogeo cd emulation is cool, but there already is a working version for this (by softdev), so there is no real rush to do something about it.
Do you think this emulator will not benefit from the stuff i currently do with mame (an emulator, that supports neogeo btw). I think it will.

I am sorry that i can't give you a download link for the old version right now, but i currently have no access to the associated hdd.
infact
Image Image
julius

Post by julius » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Aww man, that´s a shame...weell I will redownload just the dol. And ok, I should not have stated the project is dead (bad beginning :oops: ), and I already know we all have a real life, but my intention was not being rude. I had a similar match with extrems, but I don´t try to fight you (developers) because I am not even a lamer, I´m just a fan, so I would be a dumb if make you get angry and quit those interesting projects we are waiting like mame, which have caused me many headaches trying to load it via gc-linux.
Peace :mrgreen:
inukaze

Post by inukaze » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:29 am

wii_HD wrote:Thanks Julius.

Does this emulator support SDHC or 2GB and below cards.

I followed directory structure but having no luck - and yet I got NeoRage to work over a decade ago :oops:

The emulator boots and says insert memory card and press A.

/BIOS/NEOCD.BIN
/NEOGAME/IPL.TXT and all other data files
/NEOGAME/MP3/TRACK02.MP3
/NEOGAME/MP3/TRACK03.MP3

Someone can tellme a more specific example , if you have make it , someone can take a screenshot , and show me , because i wanna play "Metal Slugs" using the emulator via SD , i wanna , know , and its not better , if someone can change a few the source code and emulator use a variable $BiosCDPath/Neocd.bin

to not have too much folders inside the SD its just for more organizated files in the sd.
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:31 pm

SD card Root - .dol and Game folder.

Inside Game folder - Data files gained from extracted .iso (.iso on its own will not work - extract it.) MP3 folder.

Inside MP3 folder - Correctly named .mp3 files.

Plus you need a GameCube memory card plugged in for the emulator to work.
inukaze

Post by inukaze » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks for the Answer Wii_HD , sorry but i cant found version 0.1.52 of NeoCD Redux, i just have 0.1.36 , in this version dont support SD , someone have a download link , for "mediafire" or something like that , because , i search during hours in sites like :

GbaTemp , EurAsia , ChileComparte , ElOtroLado , etc ,etc , etc . i just saw the "news" about that version , but in any site dont have links to download , i try to download from : Emulation Realm , but when i try , "i dont have acess to this area"

Someone have that version or superior , i need it plz , thank you for any help can give me
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:51 pm

inukaze wrote:Thanks for the Answer Wii_HD , sorry but i cant found version 0.1.52 of NeoCD Redux, i just have 0.1.36 , in this version dont support SD , someone have a download link , for "mediafire" or something like that , because , i search during hours in sites like :

GbaTemp , EurAsia , ChileComparte , ElOtroLado , etc ,etc , etc . i just saw the "news" about that version , but in any site dont have links to download , i try to download from : Emulation Realm , but when i try , "i dont have acess to this area"

Someone have that version or superior , i need it plz , thank you for any help can give me
There is a working link posted by Julius at the end of the first page of this very thread.
inukaze

Post by inukaze » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:37 am

Thank you wii_HD , and that "Neo Geo CD GC.dol" you have in the screenshot , that version work with SD in Slot A ??? .

I have downloaded "neogeocd-01.5.2A.tar.bz2" but the "dol" file its for use "disc drive" , or how to , use the SD in slot a ??? , i read , exist a precompiled dol file version to use SD in slot a , but i cant found it yet.
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:50 am

inukaze wrote:Thank you wii_HD , and that "Neo Geo CD GC.dol" you have in the screenshot , that version work with SD in Slot A ??? .

I have downloaded "neogeocd-01.5.2A.tar.bz2" but the "dol" file its for use "disc drive" , or how to , use the SD in slot a ??? , i read , exist a precompiled dol file version to use SD in slot a , but i cant found it yet.
I tried to make things as clear as possible.
wii_HD wrote:SD card Root - .dol and Game folder.
wii_HD wrote:There is a working link posted by Julius at the end of the first page of this very thread.
redux32.dol is the original file name which I renamed.
inukaze

Post by inukaze » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:03 pm

i know is a rename file , but i dont the emulator , need a "Memory Card" in "Slot A" , still , if i insert the homemade sd adapter , nothing happend . i have the redux32.dol in the root , bios and game folder in the root of sd , but i cant explore sd , just disc .

Or you can tell me , where i can download files , to compile the ".dol" file from source , but i need "devkitpro" ???
another thing i need to compile dols file from sources using linux ???
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:03 am

here are the instructions to set up for linux...

http://devkitpro.org/wiki/Getting_Started/devkitPPC
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image