I need help making a boot disc to use an SD card

All your console related questions and answers :)
diosoth

I need help making a boot disc to use an SD card

Post by diosoth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:36 am

I have a Gamecube(silver NTSC model) with a Xeno GC 2.0 chip installed and need to know how to successfully burn a boot disc with Swiss or another SD loader so I can run emulators through an SD card. The SD device is a Wiikey SD Adapter and I'm using a Sandisk 4 GB SDHC card.

A lot of the info I find about setting up SD cards and all that seems to assume the user is running on a Wii through the Homebrew channel or in Gamecube mode, and that doesn't apply to me. I don't own a wii, I need Gamecube-specific setup instructions.

My main problem is setting up Swiss. I tried the instructions found here- http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... ebrew_disc
and the utilities found here- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=657

but all I got was a disc that wouldn't load. I can't really spare multiple DVDs attempting burns and setups- to get the Ridata G04 discs I'm using I have to buy them online, and every bad disc burn is also money wasted. I know Swiss includes ISO files in the package but they're less than 1 MB in size, which I think will cause issues with how the Gamecube reads discs? Right now I only have 2 blank discs on hand until I can order more.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: I need help making a boot disc to use an SD card

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:08 am

the PAL ISO in the Swiss 0.3 download archive will be fine. I botched the NTSC.iso, sorry about that!
diosoth

Post by diosoth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:24 am

emu_kidid wrote:the PAL ISO in the Swiss 0.3 download archive will be fine. I botched the NTSC.iso, sorry about that!
So the size of the iso itself won't cause any issues? Or will I need to expand it?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:52 am

burn it with something like ImgBurn, it'll pad it up to a reasonable length as it's burning so that it'll be picked up by more devices which like to detect a disc based on if it's written or not in the first few mm.
diosoth

Post by diosoth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:42 am

I have Imgburn installed. Do I need to check a setting for that or is it automatic?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 am

should be automatic.
diosoth

Post by diosoth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:10 am

I burned the PAL ISO and got a disc that couldn't be read. I only have 1 blank left so I'll have to hold off on this until I can order more.
diosoth

Post by diosoth » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 am

The Swiss PAL iso just isn't working for me. I got a new batch of Ridata DVDs today, and installed a new Asus DVD-RW drive in this PC over the weekend. Even so the iso I burn to disc just won't work in my Gamecube. Any ideas?
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:20 am

I have a PAL gamecube with xeno, and I was unable to boot swiss after I've burnt the iso- not sure what version I tried exactly.
This same dvd loads fine on my cube with ViperGC
Haven't tried anything since, as my Viper setup is working fine.

You could open your cube, and use full size DVDs for testing until you get it right :)

I don't have a xeno cube at my plae at the moment either but would like to know how to get it up and running!
diosoth

Post by diosoth » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:54 am

I can still burn and play commercial ISO rips just fine but can not get homebrew ISOs to work right on this Gamecube.