Kabel RGB Scart AV SNES / GameCube - is it good?

All your console related questions and answers :)
alzen

Kabel RGB Scart AV SNES / GameCube - is it good?

Post by alzen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:39 pm

As I'm thinking about buying GC RGB Cable and, as for me, it's a little too expensive, I'm interested in this cable:

http://www.r2pol.com/product-pol-802-Ka ... eCube.html

The description says it's for SNES as well but the box doesn't say anything about it. Still, is this Madrics brand any good?

For me it's pretty cheap as they ship from Poland, so the place that I live in.

Waiting for your opinions.
Take a look at my YouTube channel - totally dedicated to retro shooters
HomelandReloaded

Re: Kabel RGB Scart AV SNES / GameCube - is it good?

Post by HomelandReloaded » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:57 pm

The official Nintendo RGB or SCART cable gives a much better quality display than any AV cable but it is expensive now and hard to find. You should be able to find an official AV cable instead very cheaply online on eBay or Amazon (doesn't matter if it's from Japan or USA or Europe).
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Scart is well worth it, much better than composite. I wonder if you asked this question before or if it was someone else?

If it's for an NTSC Snes then it will work on Gamecube (PAL of course)

I guess you can ask them directly.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:48 pm

why not make your own?
just buy 2 cheap composite cables...

a composite cable has 4 pins: Video, L/R audio, GND
open the cable case covers and relocate pins into proper position for RGB L/R GND
then solder some RGB cable ends or a scart to the pins...
this mod should cost you less than 10$
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Official RGB cable or 3rd party doesn't make a difference, as long as it has the pins to carry the RGB signals. This cable looks good, even has a gold plated connector. Plus it has a connector with RCA outputs for stereo, handy when you want your sound delivered to your amplifier.

Or what mega says, but the cable is only 6 euros I see :).
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
alzen

Post by alzen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Also, I wonder, is it possible to get 480 resolution quality on CRT TV? I have TX-21MD3P Panasonic Quintrix TV. Guess RGB SCART cable can show this quality but i wonder if it's possible for CRT TV.
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:48 pm

21 inch, that's a small one. But 480 or 576 is fine for your TV.
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
HomelandReloaded

Post by HomelandReloaded » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:34 am

The difference between the official RGB cables and 3rd party ones is in the additional components inside the SCART connector. (I have been told that this is also the difference between the GC cables and the SNES cables, but I have not checked this for myself.) There may also be a difference in cable quality, or worse, some 3rd party cables sold as SCART cables only carry the AV signals (SCART being the connector not the signal) and not the RGB signals as expected. This is from the days when quality did affect the analog signal, unlike today when gold plated connectors and fancy materials only affect the appearance and not the quality of a digital signal.
alzen

Post by alzen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:23 am

So what do you suggest? To buy this cable or not? To be honest it sucks, original and not original, wonder why didn't Nintendo sell GC/SNES and so on with RGB normally. It sucks, like no console got sold with RGB in the box - everywhere you can find tutorials how to make ones for SMD/NES/SNES/GC and so on.

Still, it has True RGB written on the box so it should be ok I guess.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:34 am

because the box never lies :P
HomelandReloaded

Post by HomelandReloaded » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:09 am

I would buy it for 6 euros.
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:23 am

alzen wrote:So what do you suggest? To buy this cable or not? To be honest it sucks, original and not original, wonder why didn't Nintendo sell GC/SNES and so on with RGB normally. It sucks, like no console got sold with RGB in the box - everywhere you can find tutorials how to make ones for SMD/NES/SNES/GC and so on.

Still, it has True RGB written on the box so it should be ok I guess.
The cable is fine. There is ZERO difference in quality with the original, it's not like the official one has very thick copper anyway. On top of that it's RGB.

Now I see there might be a sync problem, but with a little chance. See this thread, it's about your cable: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... -cable-RGB. You can add the components needed for $2 bucks or so, but it's nothing to worry about. As long as the screen doesn't jump, the quality is the same as the official, you can have my official if it isn't. I regret I paid 30 euro for it, and even needed to 'mod' it in a way mega said. You want it for 30 euros :)?

Oh, gold-plated connectors have the same function on cables which carry either analog or digital signals: protection against oxidation.
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
alzen

Post by alzen » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Hmm, thank you guys for answers. Still, may you please direct me to some how to how to modify the normal cable into RGB? I bought today the SCART plug so I can make my own with a help of a friend. Still, I have an composite one, and I always thought that it has too little pins on that side that goes into GC, but if it's somehow possible it's only better.
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Maybe someone will explain in detail, but you can't go wrong with this scheme:
gamecube.png
wiring
(3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
With some care you can open the AV connector, and unplug the wires with a flat screwdriver. Then you can plug these in the other AV connector, and hopefully have enough wires (nine) to solder on the SCART plug.

The boards in the AV cable can be removed, maybe it has a 220u capacitor and 75ohm resistor you can use.
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL