Laser dead?

All your console related questions and answers :)
Burbruee

Laser dead?

Post by Burbruee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:00 am

Just booted up my Gamecube for the first time in a while. It's making this horrible noise, I've never heard a drive so loud before! Also every single disc DREs.

Can I just replace the laser (or entire drive) in it with another one and does it have to be the same drive revision? Right now I have the 2001/06/08 one, If anyone is fine, is there such a thing as a "recommended" drive to use? I have a friend with a couple (3-5) of spare cubes so I could probably work something out relatively cheap.

Well, I also recorded a video of the issue. It doesn't really do it justice, the noise is much louder in real life!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijCj_hF9tWY

On a second note I tried the latest Swiss 0.3 revision, and if I understood it correct IDE-EXI should be supported again. Only when I select it it comes up with a blank folder. Drive is powered up and cable connected and a green LED is lit on the IDE-EXI itself. Maybe the IDE HDD just died by itself while it gathered dust. Well I don't have a PC with IDE connectors to test out but I just wanted to confirm if IDE-EXI support is back in since I haven't visited in a while. ;)
megalomaniac

Re: Laser dead?

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:22 am

you can replace with any other GC drive
loud noise might be the drive mech....
you can spend time later trying to diagnosis, just get a whole drive for now...

as for ide-exi viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1132
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image