Curious Text Issue

All your console related questions and answers :)
Anticonformity11

Curious Text Issue

Post by Anticonformity11 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:06 pm

I purchased a Gamecube on ebay last year because I needed an indigo DOL-001. Anyway, I didn't read the sellers description very well and it turned out to have an issue displaying text. I'm positive it is a software related issue because it plays games like a charm and reads every in-game text normally UNLESS the game uses default Gamecube font to display text. The cubes audio doesn't work anymore but that's my fault because I had bad luck trying to installing the optical audio board I made; but this text problem was there before that.

Has anybody ever scene anything like this? Any help or troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.
Attachments
1130112152b.jpg
(597.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1130112152a.jpg
(555.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1130112152.jpg
(709.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
megalomaniac

Re: Curious Text Issue

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 am

have you inspected the mainboard yet?
its possible there was an issue during a previous modchip installation or removal...or maybe even a failed attempt at region mod...
i posted some large close up shots in the wiki for the region mod...
i have also attached a large close up shot of the RTC

as for blown audio, try wiring audio using ashen's board cut pinouts to trace back and see if there is a defective component somewhere along the way...hopefully you just blew a cap. i killed audio once by exposing a cap to 1200* hot air...oops...
little cap replacement fixed the issue
Attachments
mxrtc.jpg
(1.89 MiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:18 pm

IPL font is used on the cube itself I thought. Maybe try toggle languages. I'd say it's definitely IPL hardware related
Anticonformity11

Post by Anticonformity11 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:33 am

Thanks for the replies,

I looked over the motherboard and didn't see anything unusual with the RTC and didn't see signs of a failed region mod. Also, I'm using a NTSC console, so I can't simply change the language settings from the menu like you can with a PAL console. Is there an alternate way of toggling the language? I might upload a picture of my board incase there was something I might have missed.

As for the audio, there is a bulging "X" shaped mark on of C2 (the biggest cap on the board) I think I might have blown it :P I can tell it has polarity and says "J4P 220 25v". Does this mean it's 220uf cap with a 25 max voltage rating? If so, would this capacitor work as a replacement?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:20 am

yea that cap looks like a good replacement
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:41 am

Anticonformity11 wrote:Thanks for the replies,

I looked over the motherboard and didn't see anything unusual with the RTC and didn't see signs of a failed region mod. Also, I'm using a NTSC console, so I can't simply change the language settings from the menu like you can with a PAL console. Is there an alternate way of toggling the language? I might upload a picture of my board incase there was something I might have missed.

As for the audio, there is a bulging "X" shaped mark on of C2 (the biggest cap on the board) I think I might have blown it :P I can tell it has polarity and says "J4P 220 25v". Does this mean it's 220uf cap with a 25 max voltage rating? If so, would this capacitor work as a replacement?
Swiss will let you change the language on an NTSC console. just go into settings, and save/reboot (not sure if the IPL would change though...)
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Interesting. I thought that'd affect just PAL games, and only in-game.

Never heard of the NTSC menu itself having languages other than English and Japanese.
Or a software method to switch between those.