(Solved) New gamecube laser pickup issue

All your console related questions and answers :)
Lander

(Solved) New gamecube laser pickup issue

Post by Lander » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi there

I have a pair of new gamecube pickup laser, because the original one stop reading certain games of my collection (like WWE Day of Reckoning 2 or Mario Kart DD). Recently i've replaced the original pickup laser, but the new laser doesn't turn on the diode, its move and it's trying to read a disc, but the laser diode isn't even turn on.

After the laser replacement, i've adjusted the pot, It's now in 260 ohms (my gamecube is a DOL-101 USA). Recently iv'e tried with both new lasers, and nothing. Any advice?
Last edited by Lander on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
NES :: SNES :: N64 :: PSOne :: GC :: PS2 Slim :: GBA SP iQue (AGP-101) :: Wii :: DSi :: 3DS XL (Smash Edition)
AC_Orange

Re: New gamecube laser pickup issue

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:18 pm

Is the original one still working, as in lights up? If that's the case maybe the replacement lasers are dead/faulty. That's all I can really suggest but you should wait for someone knowledgeable to chime in

I've only ever replaced one pickup laser in my first cube but after a while I decided to put the original laser back in as the new one didn't make much of a difference- I was still getting disc read errors
Lander

Re: New gamecube laser pickup issue

Post by Lander » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:28 am

I solved the problem.

The guy who sold me the lasers forgot to take out the joint of solder on the orange plastic. Now the new laser works and im going to test it.

Thanks aniway AC_Orange for the reply
NES :: SNES :: N64 :: PSOne :: GC :: PS2 Slim :: GBA SP iQue (AGP-101) :: Wii :: DSi :: 3DS XL (Smash Edition)
megalomaniac

Re: (Solved) New gamecube laser pickup issue

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:38 am

what solder joint?
can you take a pic if possible??
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
dilav

Post by dilav » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:01 am

I'm guessing it is the 'anti-static' bridge point. It's located on the end of the cable. Strangely I have not found a image of it on google image.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:09 pm

yep there's a solder join under the laser pickup flex that you need to make sure isn't making contact prior to installation. PS2 lasers have the same thing.