I have a question about gamecube modem

All your console related questions and answers :)
dgist71

I have a question about gamecube modem

Post by dgist71 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:41 am

I have dsl internet and I was wondering if some how I can get a dial up gamecube modem to work with network and internet i have, if anyone can help thanks.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: I have a question about gamecube modem

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:11 am

This can be done on Dreamcast, but it's a really big hassle to get it working. you're better off getting a BBA.
epoch

Post by epoch » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:09 am

dgist71 wrote:I have dsl internet and I was wondering if some how I can get a dial up gamecube modem to work with network and internet i have, if anyone can help thanks.
short answer: yes you can.

longer answer: in order for you to be able to use your modem, you need to dial-up into another computer on your network. you would need what's referred to as a "PPP server". most linux distros can be setup for that pretty easily. but you would have to "dial" from your device to your PC (using 2 phones lines, one to dial out to your phone company) and one to dial into your PPP server (from the phone company). you can shortcut that by using a ATA device and setting up a virtual modem with something like asterisk (http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Anal ... e+Adapters). the cost of the ATA device is probably going to be pretty close to the BBA, except that the BBA is plug and play, and the ATA is a hell of a lot of work to get going...

solution: it'll be cheaper and a hell of a lot easier to get a BBA off ebay or something and use that.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:26 am

You can do it without the need for a phone line I read somewhere, but you need to make your PC a dial-up server.

Here's a guide to do it with a Dreamcast and the dial up adapter in Windows 98.

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... cwin98.php
dgist71

Post by dgist71 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:07 am

Thanks you guys that sound very difficult so bba sounds good and easier.