Completely confused

All your console related questions and answers :)
retrotuna

Completely confused

Post by retrotuna » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:17 am

Hi there everyone. I'm new to the forum and I plan on introducing myself properly in the appropriate place.

I am new to the Gamecube scene. Recently, after clearing out a storage unit I re-discovered a sealed GC I'd gotten over 10 years ago. In the interim, I've had a Wii and have used it to play GC games.

However, between being a big Game Boy fan and wanting to use the GB Player, as well as hating to part with a brand new Cube, I'd like to get it modified for my usual GC game playing usage. I've done hours and hours of research, particularly on this forum and it's wiki, but certain areas of detail confuse me beyond my current level of understanding.

Here's what I'd like to do:
- Play backed-up games from either SD or USB without having to modify the case / having to disassemble the console to access the SD card/USB (ribbon cable or thin USB cable through the rear vent, ala some region switch mods like this seen here?)
- Retain the ability to play retail discs (i.e. keeping the original GC drive intact.) I don't care about playing backed up discs (i.e. those through XenoGC) because I'd like to preserve the laser for as long as possible.

Am I correct in understanding that Megalomaniac's Megadrive allows the original GC drive to be retained while using a WiiKey Fusion or a WODE?
Would either the WiiKey Fusion or the WODE be a better solution for my wishes (playing backups without having to modify the console casing)?

I appreciate the help and the answers.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Completely confused

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:31 am

You could leave the GameCube 100% untouched if you got SDML and a SDGecko along with Swiss.
retrotuna

Post by retrotuna » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:35 am

emu_kidid wrote:You could leave the GameCube 100% untouched if you got SDML and a SDGecko along with Swiss.
I looked into that solution - but going by both the SDboot compatibility list and the Swiss compatibility list, quite a number of games have limitations or issues, so I'd prefer another method if possible.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:55 am

No problem, no method has 100% compatibility, Swiss certainly is far from it, but I'm always trying to improve it (some recent developments have made it far better). WODE is probably the most solid solution you could go with, but it is also going to end up being the most complex as it requires desoldering the original DVD connector off the mainboard and replacing it with the MegaDrive or other.

I simply listed the least intrusive :)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:37 am

considering the price of wode and amount of modification required to make it fit it might not be ideal. the wode LCD and joystick is almost always required to use therefore a case mod would be recommended for wode..

WKF cost a lot less and easier to fit

Qoob pro would be a great option if you can find one

xeno will always need to use the DVD drive
SDML will always need to use the DVD drive

about the MEGAdrive:
you need to cut off the mainboard DVD connector. WKF/WODE cannot be connected in parallel to the GC mainboard DVD pins. the GC DVD drive must be connected to the WKF/WODE DVD connection to allow proper communication and prevent signal conflict.

try looking for a qoob pro first...if you cannot find one, then think about your other options
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:37 am

Qoob isn't great though, you'd still need a SDGecko or something as he doesn't want to run DVD-R.
retrotuna

Post by retrotuna » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:58 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Qoob isn't great though, you'd still need a SDGecko or something as he doesn't want to run DVD-R.
I don't mind running DVD-R/mini DVD-R; I'd just prefer not to have to for most games to keep from wearing the laser out. Playing backups on a Dreamcast wore the heck out it's laser back in the day, so I'm going based on the assumption that they'd do the same to the GC's laser. Unless I'm wrong, which I very well could be.
megalomaniac wrote:..WKF cost a lot less and easier to fit ..Qoob pro would be a great option if you can find one ..try looking for a qoob pro first...if you cannot find one, then think about your other options
Is there a way to fit the SD slot of a WKF outside the case while retaining the DVD drive? I see an image of a WKF'd GC minus drive on the wiki with the slot mounted on the left-hand facing side.

Someone over at assemblergames has some Qoob pro chips - but those only boot from DVD media, correct?

I'm guessing at this point that the WKF + Megadrive + original DVD drive combo is my best bet at this point, since I want to preserve my original GC case while using the most compatible backup playing solution, with the ability to play retail discs for whatever doesn't run on the WKF..
deckard

Post by deckard » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Yeah you can mount the WKF SD slot on the side of the cube and still keep your DVD drive intact.
retrotuna

Post by retrotuna » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:01 am

Okay, so since it looks like the WKF is my best bet for loading my games after I've backed them up since I'm not interested in doing a case mod (at least not on -this- cube!), now I'm slightly confused about game compatibility. There's a list in the WKF installation thread, and another list on the wiki for Swiss. Since I'd be booting Swiss through the WKF, which compatibility list would apply? Is the Swiss list on the wiki primarily listing what it can boot through an SDML or SD Gecko, or is the WKF not exempt?
Sorry for all these questions.