Cube that freezes on idle semi-randomly

All your console related questions and answers :)
vxbinaca

Cube that freezes on idle semi-randomly

Post by vxbinaca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:18 am

Got an indigo DOL-001 that freezes non-reliably when one particular memory card is inserted, and much less often on idle at the boot screen. I can more reliably trigger the crash when using the memory card.

Time for a new mobo? I sourced one for $20. I'd rather not toss this guy or part him out.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Cube that freezes on idle semi-randomly

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:26 am

Does it happen after a set amount of time? might be a heat issue but I've never seen the Thermal exception trigger, I would've thought the whole thing would power down.
kinect360

Post by kinect360 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:56 am

Sounds like the GPU is over heating to me. Common with Xbox 360's and PS3's, when it freezes like that its the gpu over heating.

With the memorycard crash however, might be some corrupted file on it? The memory card would not have anything to do with heat.

Also, it shouldn't be over heating at idle so sounds like the issue is greater than just heat.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:17 am

it only happens when used with that one memorycard?
it happens no other time at all?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
vxbinaca

Post by vxbinaca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:43 am

I've had it happen on both cards though I'd need to wioe both to test if it's a corrupted file and I don't wanna do that until I have a third card.

I did track down a really cheap cube I can use for parts, and I just got in a cube today I can pot tweak and have a solid one to leave stock.

I did find evidence the indigo cube was taken apart before I acquired it. The RF shield/ground plates behind the controller input board were bent in an odd way. One of the screws was slightly stripped but still usable.

Edit:

It's happened at the following times:

- Unreliably on burn in, usually within 10 minutes.
- Unreliably in certain circumstances when a memory card is read, I move two places over afyer it's loaded and it halts sometimes.

Not yet during game play but I only have Luigis Mansion. Between my PC Engine and other consoles this hobby is killing me. I'll get around to getting some fun games soon (Zeldas and REs)