All hope lost?

All your console related questions and answers :)
iamdablasta

All hope lost?

Post by iamdablasta » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:44 pm

So I was wiring my WKF to the cube (finally got the breakout board) and it was a success (yay!) and I managed to load swiss iso and it froze on init wiikey fusion (sd was wbfs, so expected). So I took the sd out and heard a click and the screen went black. The fusion no longer lights up, and the gc power light turns on for a second, and then shuts off.

Safe to say I have no hope and have wasted a lot of money and time even when all was wired correctly? :L
the game
iamdablasta

Re: All hope lost?

Post by iamdablasta » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:23 pm

Accidental shorting between pin 15 and 17 when pin 15 somehow was loose. Fixed short and it started working again. Shut off, and turned on again and still same issue. Attempted resolder 100x times, no short. Very strange.

Edit: works now, no idea why...
the game
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:30 am

First hardmod completed, ever.
Yay, WKF Swiss (no Autoboot yet, not liking my sd card probably as the 2gb one I used for wbfs had autoboot) :)
Has autoload though, no switch installed (I removed it).

Bye duoq, bye xeno, bye sdml, bye stuttering sound in Melee (with wkf read speeds there is NO stutter in menu, probably a lot of other games work better too :))

/cheer
the game
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 am

no switch installed??? which one?
lid switch or pin29 switch?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:22 am

megalomaniac wrote:no switch installed??? which one?
lid switch or pin29 switch?
Meant both wired directly from pin to motherboard, so both are wired but neither has an actual switch.
the game
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:21 am

I know because you have auto load you feel you won't need the pin 29 switch but it could be worth having in the future just in car
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:32 am

Duhasst0 wrote:I know because you have auto load you feel you won't need the pin 29 switch but it could be worth having in the future just in car
I have the switch available for install.
Though, I didn't even ONCE use it. When I was installing it could even load WKF menu with the switch OPEN aka wire not even connected! Shockingly it worked both as closed and open, sometimes..

Besides, the switch I have is HUGE. It weights just as much as my phone jeezes!
the game
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:38 am

Damn, I just went to radio Shack and got a normally closed switch, not like what everyone else uses, now I could be wrong, but I think mega once said that pin 29 may be used in some of the emulators he has put some work into to be compatible with the wkf. Like I said to could be wrong but mega definitely advised me to install the pin 29 switch.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:20 am

emulator reasons is not the most important aspect for having a pin29 switch.
the emulator updates i released changed the exit behavior..now they exit with a reboot of the GC instead of looking for pso loader.
since WKF cannot determine when a reboot occurs, then there are two choices: hit pin29 to restart the WKF functionality or turn off the GC and turn it back on....

the most important reason is for recovery...
lets say a bad flash write happened and you need to use the 1.2 restore iso.
after you have recovered, you have lost autoboot / autoload.
now you will need pin29 to trigger the WKF menu loading so you can access the SD card to flash swiss again...
isnt having pin29 a much easier solution than opening up the console or portable to desolder the hardwired lead to manually trigger menu loading???
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:31 am

megalomaniac wrote:emulator reasons is not the most important aspect for having a pin29 switch.
the emulator updates i released changed the exit behavior..now they exit with a reboot of the GC instead of looking for pso loader.
since WKF cannot determine when a reboot occurs, then there are two choices: hit pin29 to restart the WKF functionality or turn off the GC and turn it back on....

now you will need pin29 to trigger the WKF menu loading so you can access the SD card to flash swiss again...
isnt having pin29 a much easier solution than opening up the console or portable to desolder the hardwired lead to manually trigger menu loading???
But I never used the switch, it was open the entire time.
Unusual behaviour, but what can I do?
the game
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:53 am

I plan to repurpose the reset button on the GC for pin 29. I have a 12V relay handy for NC behavior.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:08 am

iamdablasta wrote:
megalomaniac wrote:emulator reasons is not the most important aspect for having a pin29 switch.

But I never used the switch, it was open the entire time.
Unusual behaviour, but what can I do?
So how do you have your pin 29 soldered?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:11 am

unusual behavior comes from the fact the setup is unstable....
pin29 must be set to a switched GND or soldered directly to GND
with an open pin29 then you will see all kinds of weird behaviors/instability

Image Image Image
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:21 pm

megalomaniac wrote:unusual behavior comes from the fact the setup is unstable....
pin29 must be set to a switched GND or soldered directly to GND
with an open pin29 then you will see all kinds of weird behaviors/instability
I have of course soldered it to GND so it works flawlessly now.

There isn't really that much more to discuss in this thread imo, so I'll finish with saying; triple check wiring, always.
the game