GC laser makes strange noises

All your console related questions and answers :)
ttbb2

GC laser makes strange noises

Post by ttbb2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi there!

So I was wondering if you could help me somehow. I've got a lot of info I'd like to share with you.

Problem
Laser makes strange noises (as if jumping). Note that I only play originals.

GC Version DOL-001

So the first time it happened was like 4 or 5 years ago, when sometimes it would refuse to detect the Action Replay disc. It then began to happen more often, so I had to adjust the POT for the first time. I'm not 100% sure, but if I recall it correctly, the original value when I opened the console was around 386 ohms. So far so good. I adjusted it, but didn't manage to solve the issue, as sometimes it would still refuse to read the Action Replay disc (note that this issue back then would only happen with Action Replay and Freeloader. Again, note that I only play original games).

Over the last 2 years or so, things got worse, and the current situation is that, while playing, for instance, Resident Evil 2, 3, 0 and remake, the laser sometimes makes strange noises, as if jumping inside the drive. Now I was used to this sound because throughout years I heard it many times, but it would only happen once in a while.

Right, now, especially in Resident Evil while opening doors, menus etc, it makes that sound a lot of times, not to mention that I've noticed some background music skippings while it does it. This does not, however, happen all the time, sometimes it sounds that is working fine, and then all of the sudden the jumping begins (lol) and it takes time before it stops.

Yesterday, after 2 or 3 months without playing, I decided to play Metroid Prime from the beginning and, by that part when you have that sequence with the countdown and have to escape, right at the beginning of the game, having to open doors and load things, the laser sort of jumped around 15 times in less than 3 minutes and I also noticed that background music skipping. It's annoying and worrying, because it mostly does it many times in a row.

The current POT was around 250, so I tried and increased it up to 450, just to test, and I believe it got a bit better, however I tested Metroid Prime again, playing the same sequence as before, and still got the jumping, although not as much as before.

The problem is, I've had higher POT settings in the past and got the jumping laser issue and that's when I tried to decrease it to 250 and the issue was more or less resolved, but now it started to happen again.

My question then is, what POT setting do you recommend? In order to preserve the laser, but at the same time being able to play my games without major issues, should I keep it high or low?

I've got a replacement laser, which is supposedly both original and new, but I was trying not to have to replace it until the current laser completely stops working.

Also, should I worry about these noises or is it normal? Like I said, sometimes with the noise the background music also sort of skips.

It got me thinking, because I once read, I believe it was emu_kiddid who said it, that what causes lasers to die faster is re-reads, and I'm afraid this noise is precisely that, but I'm not sure, so decided to ask you guys for help.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the big text.
AC_Orange

Re: GC laser makes strange noises

Post by AC_Orange » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Is it a clicking noise? mine would do that from time to time especially with games like Metroid Prime. My first gamecube I bought was second hand and it always worried me that there was something wrong with it but from what I've seen every cube does it. Someone please confirm.
It's worrying that you are needing to adjust the pot for original games, seems like the laser is on it's way out. Mine is in around 385-390 ohm range. Let's see what other people suggest
ttbb2

Post by ttbb2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:24 pm

Thank you for the reply! Yes, it's sort of a clicking sound, but sometimes it's really loud and, like I said, I notice some song skipping at times too (very rarely, but it happens). Yesterday I left the pot at 231 and today I've played Metroid for like 1:30h without any problems at all. I haven't tested that part of the countdown at the beginning of the game, but as soon as I do I'll post the results. Gotta try Resident Evil 2 and 3 as well (there's when I first noticed the music skipping). Thanks!
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:37 pm

I had the same, but with an adjusted POT value it stopped. Though, some heavy games still make the sound (no originals though, afaik).
the game
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:11 am

the laser sometimes jumps around to read values at different areas of the disc...

this of it like this:
a CD with music or movies it a continuous line of data...so the laser reads along the disc in sequence
a game has data in different areas which need to be accessed so the laser need to jump back and fourth to the areas of the disc which hold that data...

i dont think your laser has any issues since jumping around looking for data is normal...and jumping occurs more often on titles which have audio streaming..
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:17 am

The laser will hit the end of its rail really fast (loud slide then click) when it loses sync. Tweak the pot or clean the lens with iso propyl.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:20 pm

I fixed the click on the end of the laser track by cutting a bit on the end of the thingy that connects the laser to the motor gear. Also lubed the mechanism. Some say it also removes the need for pot tweaking if the cube has trouble reading the inside of the disc. Sounds logical since that part only has the barcode on originals.
ttbb2

Post by ttbb2 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Thank you for your replies!! emu_kidid, that's what I was afraid of and got me thinking.

It is indeed a really loud sound and I once noticed it, with the console open, that sound would exactly happen when the laser would go really fast to the edge of the disc, to the end of the rail like you said. And sometimes it makes that sound three or more times in a row, it's really worrying.

Two days ago when I was playing Metroid it would mostly happen when opening doors during that countdown. The door would not open and I'd hear the sound several times. Months ago the same used to happen with RE2, while opening doors, accessing the menus, and for 2 or 3 times I got DRE when opening doors too I think and had to restart.

Well, the POT is currently at 231, let's see what happens. I'll also clean the lens as you've suggested. I wish I don't have to replace the laser any time soon, I was hoping it would last a bit longer.

Thank you guys!

Edit: streetwalker, but would that solve the 'losing sync' issue? Or would it just remove the loud noise?
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:46 pm

It will remove the noise for sure (mine always did made it on startup) but I don't think it could solve problems with originals.
ttbb2

Post by ttbb2 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:07 pm

So far everything is working fine, without any trace of that noise or DRE :D

Have been playing Metroid Prime without any issues, but I haven't however tested that specific countdown part, but yeah, it seems to be working perfectly now! Thank you so much for your support! In case it happens again I'll let you know.
ttbb2

Post by ttbb2 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Sorry for bothering you again guys, but I got a simple question and since it's somewhat related to this topic I thought I shouldn't create another.

So like I told you, I got a spare new replacement laser kit for the Gamecube. I bought it as being original and new, and it comes in that original little box from Nintendo. What happens is that the lens are not quite the same color as that of my old laser (this one is sort of light blue, whilst the one that came with the cube is dark/grey).

The box appeared to have been opened before, so my question is, is there any way I can see on the laser itself if it's an original part from Nintendo or if has been by any chance swapped by a cheap one.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:57 pm

I was unaware Nintendo sold replacement lasers, where'd you get it/do you have a picture of the box?
ttbb2

Post by ttbb2 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:31 am

I don't remember the name of the store I bought it from, it was like a year ago, but mine is similar to this one, it says original part:

http://www.wwgaming.com/games-images/ga ... r-lens.jpg

Well, maybe the one I bought is not an original, but on the box it says original part (whatever that means).

Here is more info on the model I bought. I've just looked up the model on the box, searched and got this. This is not the store I bought it from, however.
http://www.videogameaction.com/laser-le ... ecube.html
It says manufacturer Nintendo, but honestly now I don't know.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:50 am

The picture on yours looks like a clone - Nintendo would've never made boxes for these since they were never shipped to consumers individually. The second URL makes it sound more legitimate but they are probably all clones. Not that it's a bad thing since it's probably around the same build quality.
ttbb2

Post by ttbb2 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:11 am

Oh, right, I see. Thanks for the info emu_kidid! The box of one I got doesn't look like those of the pictures, it comes in a blue box, but the text on it is similar, it says original part.
Well, let's just hope that when I have to use it one day it lasts for a long time. Thanks!