Simplest way to run HomeBrew and backups?

All your console related questions and answers :)
Benji_Black

Simplest way to run HomeBrew and backups?

Post by Benji_Black » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Hey all! I'm wondering what the simplest (in terms of hardware installation) method of modding the Gamecube is.

I got a XenoGC and all seemed fine, but I didn't have the right equipment or skills to solder those tiny points and ended up wrecking the debug leads on one of my beautiful little cubes. :cry:

So, while I take some soldering lessons from my brother, I'd like to get some advice on the best way to go about modding one of my other units. I'm interested in a hardware mod if it's not quite as precise as the Xeno, at least until I build up more experience.

As far as soft-modding goes, I've seen the AR SD Media Launcher goes for a fair price, but I need to know if that supports swiss anyway.

Any advice is much appreciated! :D
webhdx

Re: Simplest way to run HomeBrew and backups?

Post by webhdx » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Don't give up with that Xeno! It's easier to install it with wires. There are alternative points if you messed up, no worries.
Benji_Black

Post by Benji_Black » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! If you could point me in the direction of any instructions for alternative installation methods, I'd be eternally grateful!
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:06 pm

Alternative points in case you messed some pads up: http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums ... e-pictures

Properly installed XenoGC with wires. You probably need to solder to other points but you can get idea how it should look like.

Take a photo and show us how bad it is.
Attachments
IMG_0009Medium.jpg
(77.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Benji_Black

Post by Benji_Black » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:36 pm

Thanks!
A big part of my problem was that the iron I used had an extremely long and blunt tip with large solder.. kinda foolish. I have a newer iron with a shorter, fine tip and small solder now so maybe it will go better this time..
APE992

Post by APE992 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:20 am

1)Realize you're in above your head
2)Send it off to be properly modded
3)Enjoy!
Benji_Black

Post by Benji_Black » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:24 am

Update: I actually soldered it in with my new iron into one of my "spare" units. It's not lighting up but I checked and rechecked, everything is in properly. I don't know if I shorted it out before or if it's just defective..
(it did come from a strange Chinese reseller afterall).

I'd be willing to do it again with a proper Xeno in another one of my cubes. I don't have the funds to pay someone else to do it, so I'd really like to get this done on my own.
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:28 am

There is probably a short underneath. Make wire installation, you can use alternative points on the already damaged unit:
xenogc-alternative-install.jpg
(186.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
But probably it would be a better idea to give it to someone to do it for you... :)