VGA Component Cable

All your console related questions and answers :)
BenoitRen

Re: VGA Component Cable

Post by BenoitRen » Thu May 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Backup != piracy.
"backup" is what many software authors use in this context to not outright admit that its purpose is piracy. 99% of the users also use it as such.
iamdablasta wrote:I lost my MKDD disc, but I had a backup. Is that piracy, or just being careful? (Note I did not sell it, I actually believe it has been stolen or teleported to the sixth dimension).
When it comes to the law, if you don't have the original disc, your back-up of it probably isn't legal.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
badsector

Post by badsector » Thu May 22, 2014 1:28 pm

I got like over 100 original GameCube games and still love to just have my games on just one SD card when I want to carry it ro my friends.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Thu May 22, 2014 4:23 pm

BenoitRen wrote:
"backup" is what many software authors use in this context to not outright admit that its purpose is piracy. 99% of the users also use it as such.
iamdablasta wrote:I lost my MKDD disc, but I had a backup. Is that piracy, or just being careful? (Note I did not sell it, I actually believe it has been stolen or teleported to the sixth dimension).
When it comes to the law, if you don't have the original disc, your back-up of it probably isn't legal.
No, but would you consider it wrong? That's more important. Imagine not being legally allowed to backup your own harddisk, that's just as wrong.

I am not sure if backups are legal where I live, but who cares? In ten years gamecube is probably as retro as nintendo 64 and nobody gives two flying fucks if you pirate or not since you mostly just find used games or overpriced games. The developers probably dont even make money on the games anymore, maybe gamestop does, but they dont deserve the money how they treat gamers.

Besides, It was a backup, what else are backups for? You don't normally make backups to preserve the original, but to have an extra in case the original breaks.

God, this is so off topic. sorry
the game
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu May 22, 2014 4:45 pm

I'm with you all the way. Also, Gamestop and the like do not own any rights on the games which basically does not give them legal permission to sue pirates. And they stopped selling/buying GC games anyway. The Wii is on it's way there too.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu May 22, 2014 11:00 pm

my toilet is backed up
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Fri May 23, 2014 10:35 am

wh- wha- WHAT???!
the game
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sat May 24, 2014 10:42 am

iamdablasta wrote:No, but would you consider it wrong?
No, I don't think so.
Imagine not being legally allowed to backup your own harddisk, that's just as wrong.
I don't see how that's related.
In ten years gamecube is probably as retro as nintendo 64 and nobody gives two flying fucks if you pirate or not since you mostly just find used games or overpriced games. The developers probably dont even make money on the games anymore, maybe gamestop does, but they dont deserve the money how they treat gamers.
I've read that soon Nintendo will be selling digital versions of GameCube games for the Wii U.
Besides, It was a backup, what else are backups for? You don't normally make backups to preserve the original, but to have an extra in case the original breaks.
Your disc breaking is not the same thing as it being lost or stolen.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sat May 24, 2014 11:56 am

BenoitRen wrote:
iamdablasta wrote:No, but would you consider it wrong?
No, I don't think so.
Imagine not being legally allowed to backup your own harddisk, that's just as wrong.
I don't see how that's related.
In ten years gamecube is probably as retro as nintendo 64 and nobody gives two flying fucks if you pirate or not since you mostly just find used games or overpriced games. The developers probably dont even make money on the games anymore, maybe gamestop does, but they dont deserve the money how they treat gamers.
I've read that soon Nintendo will be selling digital versions of GameCube games for the Wii U.
Your disc breaking is not the same thing as it being lost or stolen.
It's related because my harddisk is mine and I should backup it if I want to.
Just as I should backup a game I've bought.
It doesn't matter if I break it, lose it, or it gets stolen. I will have a backup in case of anything happens, that is what a backup is for.

You're right about the gamecube on Wii U though, which includes n64 games too probably.
I can't really protect my piracy, but it's not like anybody can provide a really good reason for piracy either.
the game
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat May 24, 2014 3:53 pm

Thing is, if you wanna get real deep into this, software is not sold but granted under license. So you don't own a game but a mere copy of it.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat May 24, 2014 5:27 pm

BenoitRen wrote:
BenoitRen...do you assume to know the "authors" actual intent for the use of the word "backup"? if you do not assume, then than you provide a link to support your statement for all "authors" who have made this statement??
Also is 99% an officially published statistic that you can provide a reference link?

if you cannot provide links, then your statements are invalid and pure non-sensical speculation based on your own total stupidity...

BenoitRen wrote:When it comes to the law, if you don't have the original disc, your back-up of it probably isn't legal.
FYI, laws vary by country, so you cannot really post a one-all-be-all rule of thumb for the validity of owning original media and possession of a digital copy.
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sat May 24, 2014 6:22 pm

BenoitRen wrote:When it comes to the law, if you don't have the original disc, your back-up of it probably isn't legal.
I checked the laws here in Norway.
Backups are legal, but if you don't have the original they are not legal anymore and should be tossed. Defeats the purpose now, doesn't it? As far as I interpreted the law it's legal even if disc is broken, but if you lose it (guilty) it is not.
You are right in my instance, but it could be different other places.
the game
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun May 25, 2014 12:52 am

The idea is you make a copy and then use it for regular usage, with the original stored somewhere safe so it doesn't get broken. That way only the "backup" is likely to get trashed and you can easily make another one if need be. This dates back to when software came on floppy discs which were a lot easier to damage, especially since most of them were writable...