How to update swiss on wasp fusion

All your console related questions and answers :)
andre104623

How to update swiss on wasp fusion

Post by andre104623 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:12 am

OK I think I found a problem or the problem my wasp came with swiss r253 and I think the new one is swiss r260 or r258 how do I update it I'm used to burning swiss on a disc
Last edited by andre104623 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
novenary

Re: Megadrive 5 + wasp = really slow loading

Post by novenary » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:40 am

What class are your SD cards ?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:41 am

did you adjust the region setting switches on WASP to match your IPL?
you are loading titles from the WASP slot right?

pics of installation?
im betting there is a soldering point not making great contact causing slowdowns...
do you ever have problems booting?
are you using clean isos (never been touched by swiss previously)?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:55 am

megalomaniac wrote:did you adjust the region setting switches on WASP to match your IPL?
you are loading titles from the WASP slot right?

pics of installation?
im betting there is a soldering point not making great contact causing slowdowns...
do you ever have problems booting?
are you using clean isos (never been touched by swiss previously)?
Class 4 and class 10 doesn't make any difference one switch up for NTSC-u yes loading from wasp SD slot the only problem booting I have is swiss won't autoboot anymore when I turn on the cube it goes to menu then I can manually select swiss then its boots yes my iso's are clean and some are my own backups. The only pic I have is the one on my review I'm not home right now

The megadrive is installed with pins not just solder
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:10 am

no problem...
when you get a chance can you provide a more clear pic...
the last one is a little out of focus with a lot of glare which makes it difficult to see any potential issues...

as for the autoboot / autoload, that depends on your SD card...there is currently no known way to determine which card will make a difference to the boot behavior...it is not related to brand, model, size, class...nothing...there is not enough data yet to identify how the card will perform to allow either autoboot or autoload...
this is something that will be hit and miss for all of us until more info can be collected...

have you tried reseating the SD cable? that could be another potential problem
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:16 am

megalomaniac wrote:no problem...
when you get a chance can you provide a more clear pic...
the last one is a little out of focus with a lot of glare which makes it difficult to see any potential issues...

as for the autoboot / autoload, that depends on your SD card...there is currently no known way to determine which card will make a difference to the boot behavior...it is not related to brand, model, size, class...nothing...there is not enough data yet to identify how the card will perform to allow either autoboot or autoload...
this is something that will be hit and miss for all of us until more info can be collected...

have you tried reseating the SD cable? that could be another potential problem
I haven't tried the SD cable yet I'll try that first that's really weird that autoboot works when it feels good and ready it worked fine a few days ago when my son played Mario kart
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:47 am

which card were you using and how many iso's were on the card?
if you know exactly which card it was, try this quick test:

1. reformat the card, write only 1 iso, nothing else...then test to see if it autoboots...
2. if it does autoboot, then write a second iso and test to see if it still autoboots...
3. if it does not autoboot, repeat step 1 and step 2 to validate results using the exact same card...

also you mention your son was playing mariokart?
was this from WASP slot or Gecko slot?

Image Image Image
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:44 am

My 32GB SD card will crash and freeze up when starting a game sometimes if I "over fill" it. I can load one iso at a time and everything is fine untill the card is mostly full of games. Than it will crash on games that loaded OK before hand. I can delete the last loaded game and its normally OK again. Sometimes I reformat and reload from scratch if I add or delete many games.

Sandisk Ultra 32GB SD HC I class 10 30mb/s
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:41 am

how much memory space have you noticed as being that "over fill" threshold on your card?
also, when adding, do you use full isos or shrunk?

adding and deleting can cause fragments if all the isos are not the full 1.4GB
swiss does not yet fully support fragmented files via WKF/WASP slot...maybe that is more related to the crashing and not so much a capacity threshold???

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:12 am

With one iso it autoboots sandisk 16gb class 4 fat32 from wasp we always load from wasp never from SD gekco the SD card cable had no effect also note that swiss can not read how much space is on the SD card I don't know if it's suppose to or not all iso's are full never shrunked
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:28 pm

The "over fill" threshold seems to be around 20gb when it starts to have problems. Hmm.. so thats not normal huh? Well damn. Some isos are full and some are shrunk. I do get the fragmented warning in swiss sometimes when the card is full, even if I havn't deleted anything. I'll go to using all full isos, see if that helps.

Didn't mean to jump in on the thread, just chiming in to try and help.
HomelandReloaded

Post by HomelandReloaded » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:32 pm

I don't think fragmentation is an issue for solid state media, as there is no read/write head (and defragmenting an SSD would wear it out faster than anything) but over-filling is. Spare space is needed by the controller for efficiency and longer life of the media. In my experience this is about 10% for an SSD before performance is seriously affected, but maybe there is a fixed minimum. If there is a difference from one SD card to another it could be to do with how the controller works. A big issue for SSDs, but I don't if it applies to SD cards, is alignment of partitions.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:48 pm

I had a fragmentation issue on my sd card at the start, and when I defragged it started working. I don't think fragmentation can be ignored that easily. Remember that sd cards behave really fucking weird, they're like schrodingers cat of file saving. I swear they work and don't work at the same time.
Mine is filled to max capacity (31.5/32gb) with NO fragmentation and is working as if it had just one file on it. Any fragmented game would refuse to work with a black screen.
the game
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:15 pm

The wiikey fusion does not support fragmentation as it's designed to work with wbfs which does not fragment.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:32 pm

I fully formatted the SD card it seems to be working better but videos still jerk and crash
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:04 am

andre104623 wrote:With one iso it autoboots sandisk 16gb class 4 fat32 from wasp we always load from wasp never from SD gekco the SD card cable had no effect also note that swiss can not read how much space is on the SD card I don't know if it's suppose to or not all iso's are full never shrunked
what happened to step 2 and step 3 of the testing?
did the card autoboot or autoload? did you validate the test results as requested?
as a further test, boot cleanrip and dump a copy and check the MD5sum thru the WASP in passthru...this will at least confirm your connectivity is working....
edit: nevermind you have v5 with no DVD drive connected

as of swiss_r258, WKF/WASP SD slot capacity data was fixed to display Total, Free, Used. Note: 128GB SD cards show a "wonky Used/Free status" viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1113&p=23467#p23467

just for anyone else reading this:
do not ever defrag a SD card...i covered some basic SD card info here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1735

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:56 am

megalomaniac wrote:
andre104623 wrote:With one iso it autoboots sandisk 16gb class 4 fat32 from wasp we always load from wasp never from SD gekco the SD card cable had no effect also note that swiss can not read how much space is on the SD card I don't know if it's suppose to or not all iso's are full never shrunked
what happened to step 2 and step 3 of the testing?
did the card autoboot or autoload? did you validate the test results as requested?
as a further test, boot cleanrip and dump a copy and check the MD5sum thru the WASP in passthru...this will at least confirm your connectivity is working....
edit: nevermind you have v5 with no DVD drive connected

as of swiss_r258, WKF/WASP SD slot capacity data was fixed to display Total, Free, Used. Note: 128GB SD cards show a "wonky Used/Free status" viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1113&p=23467#p23467

just for anyone else reading this:
do not ever defrag a SD card...i covered some basic SD card info here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1735
So my wasp won't read the space of the SD card and no game pics on the swiss menu is that bad? Some games still load slow as balls but they work just the load times of some games are crazy Zelda took 6 minutes to load to get to the menu screen. I know this is off topic but how much longer for the FFC cables to ship I would like to try them to see if it makes a difference
andre104623

Re: Megadrive 5 + wasp = FIXED!!

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:00 am

I'm playing resident evil cvx right now and it plays great there are no lags or loading at all. Autoboot will not work with one iso if I put 5 or more then it autoboots every time or at least as many times I tried which was about 15 times when autoboot doesn't work autoload always does. If there is no SD card it shows up as insert disc on the menu screen

Autoboot did work with the 16gb sandisk with one Iso then if I put more on the card no more autoboot just autoload I bought a 64gb SD card today which from what I understand is the biggest SD it can read