Real quick questions regarding drive replacement.

All your console related questions and answers :)
donhonk

Real quick questions regarding drive replacement.

Post by donhonk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:05 am

Alright, so I've got a spare GameCube with a non working disc drive. Now I'd like to take that GameCube and install a WASP so I can force 480p on stuff, not really concerned about retaining disc drive functionality. Not too familiar with modding Cubes, so I wanted to ask here before I order anything. (Kind of a noob to this stuff, just been trying to skim threads and watch videos about the subject.)

Thinking about getting a WASP, a Megadrive V5 (Because its cheaper than plug and play, not afraid of soldering it.), and a switch so I can do the lid switch thing.

That's all I need right? I'm decent at soldering, definitely not an expert. (Biggest thing I've done is replace all the caps in a Game Gear, that worked hah.) Desoldering the disc drive connector looks a wee bit intimidating because its a small space to get into it looks like. Anyway, just making sure I'm on the right track. Thanks!
iamdablasta

Re: Real quick questions regarding drive replacement.

Post by iamdablasta » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:55 am

You need a security bit to open the gamecube too, not sure which size.
Other than that you're good to go!
the game
jlo138

Post by jlo138 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:11 pm

iamdablasta wrote:You need a security bit to open the gamecube too, not sure which size.
Or you can take a Bic pen (clear plastic) remove the ink and tip, and melt over a flame. Then quickly mold it over the screw until it hardens. It's a quick and simple solution since those Nintendo bits are only sold online. I've done it with the white ones but the plastic is softer and requires re molding pretty much after each screw. I have gotten the security bit since then.
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:57 pm

jlo138 wrote:
iamdablasta wrote:You need a security bit to open the gamecube too, not sure which size.
Or you can take a Bic pen (clear plastic) remove the ink and tip, and melt over a flame. Then quickly mold it over the screw until it hardens. It's a quick and simple solution since those Nintendo bits are only sold online. I've done it with the white ones but the plastic is softer and requires re molding pretty much after each screw. I have gotten the security bit since then.
I did this and replaced the screws with normal flat screws. But it was a huge hassle. Rather spend 1 dollar when I am buying other stuff online anyways.
the game
donhonk

Post by donhonk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:47 pm

Oh, should have mentioned but yeah. I do have various gamebit / triwing screwdrivers, so Im good on that front. Thank ya :D