Gotten my hope back, but still suffering xenogc n media prob

All your console related questions and answers :)
jonah89

Gotten my hope back, but still suffering xenogc n media prob

Post by jonah89 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Hello! I have been faceing some major stress over my xenogc install, pot tweaking and media, the situation has been on for months but now am seeing some progress! My gamecube was what i have understood one of the "later" ones. It's black and it came with a Zelda collectors edition game. Last year i ordered xenogc mod chip and succesfully installed it, i had alot of help from my electric friend. When i boot up my gc the led on the chip goes from red to constantly staying orange which indicates that the chip is v2.0. I has a few disks i burned games with imgburn forst 3 didnt work even tho we did alot of pot tweaking between 130-300 upping it everytime just 5, anyway nothing seemd to work. Now months later i decided to get on it again burned a random game and supriseingly it workd! a little pot tewaking and the errors dissapeared too, tho the laser is makeing small flicking sound when reading but i think its just its nature this happens specially on video shortcuts in games, adjusting to pot made it a little better i was settled in 175. So now i got a cube i know can read backups, the unfortunate problem now is that i cant find the right 8cm media, the dvd i got working was verbatim normal size dvd+r with a printable surface, the package is purple blue, Then i went to the store and got some smaller verbatims thinking it was the brand. This time i got orangeblue back of verbatim 8cm dvd-r and they didnt work! Old recomended medias are hard and expencive to find "ritek g04 dvd's etc". Somehow i got a feeling dvd+r is working properly? I also cant really use full size disks because i cant find new caseing for my cube, ( i live in eu, too much to offer it from us), only got the orginal that fits the 8cm disks.

So shortly suffering from wrong media cant seem to figure which 8cm media is the best, yet havent got none of the working only full size disk ive gotten to work.

Sorry for the bad writing, dyslextic and eng not my maintounge
noobcube

Re: Gotten my hope back, but still suffering xenogc n media

Post by noobcube » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:22 pm

We know that your modchip is working. That's good. That leaves media type, write speed, DVD burner, and the laser pot, as variables. My own experience with the Gamecube suggests that it is rather picky about reading burned discs. I just installed a new laser in mine and it is still much less reliable than my Wii.

Have you tried burning discs at different speeds? As a general observation, I have found that a lower write speed (e.g. 2x) will allow the disc to be read with a somewhat higher laser pot value. Some DVD burners write better at higher speeds, so try that as well. You may find that certain write speeds work best with certain media types. If discs are not reading reliably, continue to lower the pot below 130 ohms in small increments, making note if disc reading becomes better or worse. Also, some burners seem to work better with the Gamecube than others. Try another DVD burner, perhaps from a friend or relative.
capzlk

Re: Gotten my hope back, but still suffering xenogc n media prob

Post by capzlk » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:33 pm

Going below 150.. If that is required then I would replace the laser/lens since it means it would be hearing the end of its life..

You probably just need to tweak the pot a little more.
I havent tried verbatim but interestingly my cube can read sony ones at 400 (my starting pot value). Also there is a uk ebay seller which sells ritek discs. I've been using them and they work really well (with pot around 160 though :/ )