Gamecube Display Question

All your console related questions and answers :)
punger

Gamecube Display Question

Post by punger » Mon May 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi. I know nothing of Display cables excluding HDMI, DVI or VGA.

I was just wondering, what type of display cable will give the best quality for a Gamecube on a Widescreen TV?

It may just have been that I'd never noticed it before but recently I've noticed most of my GC games look bad on my current TV. I've not played the GC much on this TV but all games look really stretched out, pixelated and really really blurry. Not only that but I've noticed I get white lines go up and down the screen when certain levels of brightness are on the screen. This is very noticeable in something like Wind Waker where the game is usually very bright.

I've no idea the name of the current cable I'm using ( I believe I got it with the GC ) but It uses Red, White and Yellow connectors ( After google image searching it, I believe it's called an AV cable ).

So, what's the best cable for this situation? What will give the best quality for a Widescreen HDTV?

-Thanks
ZephaniahNoah

Re: Gamecube Display Question

Post by ZephaniahNoah » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:03 am

I have the same question. I'm making a GC-Portable and the quality of my DOL-001 NTSC via AV is crap. How do I get the-best/better-than-AV quality? Anybody?
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:18 am

Best genuine quality for GC is YPbPr.
Cables are fraeking expensive, but picture is at its best.
People have worked/are working on alternative solutions, but nothing plug'n play for now.
jlo138

Post by jlo138 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:27 pm

You can adjust picture size to 4:3 ratio on your TV. And yeah the GameCube component cables are expensive. Only Nintendo made them and in very limited quantities. Expect to pay from $250-$300 easy online. Your cheapest solution would be to get an original GC compatible Wii and get component cables for that which are $5 for unbranded online. Quality isn't as good but is pretty close to the GC with component cables. Also you can adjust the sharpness on your TV.
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:17 pm

It seems that WiiU has better picture quality, using Nintendont to load GC games. Worth a try.
ZephaniahNoah

Post by ZephaniahNoah » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:16 am

jlo138 wrote:You can adjust picture size to 4:3 ratio on your TV. And yeah the GameCube component cables are expensive. Only Nintendo made them and in very limited quantities. Expect to pay from $250-$300 easy online. Your cheapest solution would be to get an original GC compatible Wii and get component cables for that which are $5 for unbranded online. Quality isn't as good but is pretty close to the GC with component cables. Also you can adjust the sharpness on your TV.
Gosh! Why so expensive?
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:39 am

Because they're rare. Back then people didn't have the hardware to use component so they didn't buy the cable. Since it contains undocumented hardware (not true anymore now) it was impossible to have cheap clones. So now since there's so few of these around and a high demand, they sell for crazy prices.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:38 pm

They weren't that limited, up until a couple of years ago (in Australia at least) you could order one direct from Nintendo over the phone.
ZephaniahNoah

Post by ZephaniahNoah » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:24 am

Dang...