Black screen of death?

All your console related questions and answers :)
Damiken

Black screen of death?

Post by Damiken » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:58 am

Thinking my gamecube is fubar at this point. Its xeno chipped, and I did the pot tweaking and everything and it worked for about a day and now I cant load any games beyond the nintendo logo. I don't even get an error code. I pop a game in, it says "nintendo" and thats about it. Black screeen, no video or sound, no error code, nothing. Does anyone know if this is this even fixable or is it just screwed? And for what it's worth, I uninstalled the xeno and still have the same issue.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Black screen of death?

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:02 am

Are you saying the following is happening:
Power on GameCube
Boot screen (spinning cube) shows
Black screen
Nintendo Logo
Loss of video/audio?

I don't see how this is really possible, let it sit for a bit of time, does the drive error out? If I'm wrong, please be more descriptive, the GC is probably fine just might need something replaced.
Damiken

Post by Damiken » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:09 am

emu_kidid wrote:Are you saying the following is happening:
Power on GameCube
Boot screen (spinning cube) shows
Black screen
Nintendo Logo
Loss of video/audio?

I don't see how this is really possible, let it sit for a bit of time, does the drive error out? If I'm wrong, please be more descriptive, the GC is probably fine just might need something replaced.

Sorry I shoudlve been more descriptive. The system powers on and functions fine until I put a game in. Any game I put in will read, and since most games I have are made by nintento, the red nintendo logo will pop up, but then I get a black screen. I burned a copy of super mario sunshine and the gameboy player cd. I can play the gameboy player disc perfectly fine. Super mario sunshine works for about 5 minutes and then I get a black screen and no error code. Any legitimate nintendo game never loads past the red nintendo logo that pops up, games I tried were animal crossing and wind waker. For whatever reason, tloz collectors edition will load to and I can select which zelda to play, but as soon as I select any game I get the black screen again and the gamecube seems completely frozen, with the reset button not working. Everything was working fine for a day and this just started happening.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:25 am

What is your video setup like, just standard AV cables?

Can you try Rogue Leader if you have it and let me know how that behaves?

Sounds like your ARAM might be dying/dead or you have something causing issues on your Hi-Speed-Port/ARAM bus. Remove the GB Player, make sure there's nothing conductive touching the port and try again (try games without it plugged in).
Damiken

Post by Damiken » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:32 am

emu_kidid wrote:What is your video setup like, just standard AV cables?

Can you try Rogue Leader if you have it and let me know how that behaves?

Sounds like your ARAM might be dying/dead or you have something causing issues on your Hi-Speed-Port/ARAM bus. Remove the GB Player, make sure there's nothing conductive touching the port and try again (try games without it plugged in).
I'm using just the standard AV cables, and right now i'm at school, left the gamecube at home but I definitely will try it without the gameboy player when I get the chance. I dont have rogue leader unfortunately, and if its an ARAM issue im assuming it cant be fixed?
Damiken

Post by Damiken » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Update! Thank you! You helped me narrow down the problem and solve it relatively quickly. I reflowed the solder joints on the ARAM chip and voila it's alive!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:47 am

Nice, another GC rescued from the brink!