Boot Swiss from disc on unmodded console?

All your console related questions and answers :)
Nosen

Boot Swiss from disc on unmodded console?

Post by Nosen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi!

I'm trying to get my unmodded Gamecube to boot Swiss from a miniDVD i burned.

However, the Gamecube doesn't recognise the disc (not even from within Swiss).

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is this possible on an unmodded console?

I'm using Toast Titanium (the 'copy .iso setting') on a Mac with an external disc drive and Verbatim 8cm DVD-R discs. The Gamecube is PAL. Swiss version r330.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Boot Swiss from disc on unmodded console?

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Swiss doesn't support booting of homebrew discs from within itself, however it should at least let you browse it.
Nosen

Post by Nosen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:43 pm

It doesn't even let me browse the disc, which leads me to believe that the disc isn't compatible with Gamecube. in other words, i fucked something up.

I tried a gamecube backup .iso of 20XX Melee but the GC didn't seem to recognise that disc either.

Granted, at this point this isn't really a Swiss related concern, I'm hoping that this forum will be able to help me anyway.

I burned the Swiss PAL .iso using default settings (I checked that I didn't just copy the file onto the disc itself). Is there any other steps you need to take in order to make the disc GC compatible? Thanks in advance for all the help!
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:42 pm

An unmodded gamecube won't read a burnt disc.
Nosen

Post by Nosen » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:24 am

That answers my question. Thanks.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:38 am

Nosen, are you booting Swiss somehow and then trying to read the DVD-R discs within it?

An unmodified GameCube that has by other means managed to boot Swiss (Home Bros. or some other softmod) will be able to read DVD-R in Swiss without a modchip or any hardware modification.
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:50 am

emu_kidid wrote:Nosen, are you booting Swiss somehow and then trying to read the DVD-R discs within it?

An unmodified GameCube that has by other means managed to boot Swiss (Home Bros. or some other softmod) will be able to read DVD-R in Swiss without a modchip or any hardware modification.
It sounds to me like a test, to see if Swiss can run Swiss from DVD-R.

Anyway. That's assuming you have a combination of burner and media, a GameCube will recognize without adjusting the laser.
Nosen

Post by Nosen » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:59 pm

I'm currently successfully booting Swiss with Datel SDML.

I keep my backup .isos on another SD card which means I have to change SD cards every time I boot my Gamecube.

The ultimate solution, apart from hardmodding my cube of course, would be to somehow have it boot directly into Swiss.

Is there a more convenient solution than mine? Home Bros. seems at least a little more convenient, but I don't have all hardware necessary.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Nothing more convenient without a hardmod.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:29 am

Home bros can be installed just with GC + SD gecko + memory card, you have all you need. GCMM works just fine on the GC (you need the GC version of course).
capzlk

Post by capzlk » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:28 am

i've been able to boot a burned copy of F-Zero GX, which i burned to a Sony 8cm DVD-R using Imgburn from within bootcamp, everything i've burned in other apps so far for some reason has reading issues, though using the OS to burn directly does seem to work in my initial testing (right click the iso file and pick burn to disc).
Only my sony disc will boot without issues, without a pot/laser tweak, using just swiss and SDML. It's probably cheaper, quicker, and easier to just solder a xenogc though, thats about €8 from ebay. That single sony dvd cost me €3.. and you still need a way to boot homebrew to launch it.