No idea what's wrong

All your console related questions and answers :)
nfoker1

No idea what's wrong

Post by nfoker1 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:29 am

So I just bought a used Gamecube. I have two games for it so far: Super Smash Bros Melee and Open Season. The Gamecube can play OS without any problems but there is a problem with Melee. It can read the game, I can change settings, and do whatever I want but I can't start an actual fight (displays the "an error has occurred" message). Both games play fine on the wii, which tells me that it's not a problem with the discs. I originally thought it was a read problem with the Gamecube but it can play OS completely fine. What should I do?
tueidj

Re: No idea what's wrong

Post by tueidj » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:38 am

Still most likely a problem with the disc drive, maybe Open Season is a lot smaller and only accesses a very slim portion of the disc.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:40 am

tueidj was too fast for me but I'll still post what I was going to anyway:

The disc is probably just barely too scratched for the GameCube to read it and when a level loads it probably has to load data from complete opposite parts of the disc which causes it to lose sync and report the error. The Wii laser is more tolerant of bad media.

Clean the disc, and read this page: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... ser_Tuning
nfoker1

Post by nfoker1 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks, I will try this
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:03 am

I would also suggest dumping the discs using Clean Rip on the Wii. If you get any errors you will know it's the disc.