Broken gamecube, not sure what to test next

All your console related questions and answers :)
goatlink

Broken gamecube, not sure what to test next

Post by goatlink » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:37 am

I got a free broken gamecube, the light and fan turn on, but I dont get any sound or picture on either the analog video out or digital video out (which makes me suspect its a more central component at fault). I tested the voltages of the power regulator and even replaced it and its not the problem. Anyone have this problem before or have any advice as to what I should test next? thanks.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Broken gamecube, not sure what to test next

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:32 pm

Does the DVD drive reset when the lid is closed?
goatlink

Post by goatlink » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:59 am

Im not quite sure what you mean by that but the disc drive doesnt do anything when I close the lid, and I have tested it with multiple DDs
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:09 am

If the DVD doesn't spin up with a disc in the drive, the CPU is not booting. It could be fixable, or not. Does the heatsink get warm ?
goatlink

Post by goatlink » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:33 am

yeah the heat sink warms up. The voltages on U13 (the Sharp 070XZ1H voltage regulator) are correct as well, and I assume thats whats powering the DD right?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:23 am

Do you get black video out or no video at all?

Check around the MX chip near the controller port (it's underneath on REV-C I think), and check the crystal. Sounds like the bootrom isn't executing.

When we meant to check the DVD, did you try it with the lid switch pressed completely down? If you see any activity on it then it's probably a video issue
goatlink

Post by goatlink » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:22 am

alright, the crystal has a 32mV signal @ around 50 to 60Hz across it (my DMM only has an option for 20K Hz, so I guess its less accurate for lower frequencies). Im pretty sure I have a revision B board because there's no debug port and it has digital video out. Not sure what to check on the MX chip. There is a small flicker on my crt when I turn the GC power on and off, but nothing when I open or close the lid switch.
jefflongo

Post by jefflongo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:57 am

Sorry to necro, but I'm having an issue similar to this. I removed some unnecessary connectors (serial ports/memory card ports/gameboy adapter/rgb video connector) on a rev A motherboard. After this, I get no video/audio when trying to boot.. I checked the voltages on the power connector and the composite video connector and they're all correct, the controller port LED turns on, and the optical drive is functioning. Is there anything I can do to fix this or am I screwed?