I'm failing with my Xeno installation

All your console related questions and answers :)
zigaboo

I'm failing with my Xeno installation

Post by zigaboo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:43 pm

I know that such mods are easy as 1234 for people here, but it's my first attempt at modding anything so bear with me.

Bought a cheap Japanese cube and a xeno, so that I could make a region-free console.

Soldered everything as I should (I hope), each soldered part is individual and doesn't connect with the others. Crappy pic: http://i.imgur.com/RTKVnIw.jpg

When I try it out, it reads Japanese games but not European ones. It can't be the laser's ohmage thing as I tried with different values (currently at 200, which I've read is ideal)

What could it be?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: I'm failing with my Xeno installation

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:13 pm

How does the LED behave? Also, 200ohm and not reading backups does not sound uncommon to me, try lower temporarily.
zigaboo

Post by zigaboo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:39 pm

emu_kidid wrote:How does the LED behave? Also, 200ohm and not reading backups does not sound uncommon to me, try lower temporarily.
LED doesn't change color, it stays red.

It was at 500ohm initially, reading Japanese genuine copies just fine. I'm also using European genuine copies, not backups.

Wouldn't lower ohmage damage something?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:12 am

Yeah if the LED doesn't change colour then it's time to verify your soldering. Try to trace the solder blobs to the alternative installation points by using a multimeter on continuity checking mode.
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:33 pm

the soldering on power looks a little suspect also it looks like ground is connected to the atmega pin
zigaboo

Post by zigaboo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:08 pm

Hello again.

After around 2-3 failures with wireless installs, i failed once more today. But this time I decided I would try the second option after my failure; wired install on the back of the board.

My soldering technique was sloppy as hell, I used no flux, the amount of solder was sketchy.
Guess what? It worked amazing.

All this time I wasted with wireless installs, being super careful, using proper solder techniques etc... For nothing.

Thanks emu_kidid for the diagram!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:39 pm

zigaboo wrote: Guess what? It worked amazing.
Great to hear :)