Some very newbie questions about launching software from a SD Media Launcher

All your console related questions and answers :)
dolphin

Some very newbie questions about launching software from a SD Media Launcher

Post by dolphin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:17 pm

Hi,

i will most likely get the SD Media Launcher by Datel this weekend and mainly want to use it for the Gameboy Interface and Swiss eventually.
Is there any way that by launching these (or any other) programs the actual software of the gamecube is changed permanently?

I heard that it is recommended to launch the Gameboy Interface via Swiss. Is this correct? Is there a way to launch the Gameboy Interface directly, without going through the boot up menu of Swiss?

Can i also use a SDGecko or the offical SD Memory Card released by Nintendo for this purpose?

I hope you guys understood my questions. I am not very familiar with certain terms, yet.
Sierron

Re: Some very newbie questions about launching software from a SD Media Launcher

Post by Sierron » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:56 pm

dolphin wrote:i will most likely get the SD Media Launcher by Datel this weekend and mainly want to use it for the Gameboy Interface and Swiss eventually.Is there any way that by launching these (or any other) programs the actual software of the gamecube is changed permanently?
If the use of the homebrew changes the software on the cube?
No, the IPL is permanent and cannot be changed.

If you could be changed permanently?
Yes, with a Modchip.
dolphin wrote:I heard that it is recommended to launch the Gameboy Interface via Swiss. Is this correct? Is there a way to launch the Gameboy Interface directly, without going through the boot up menu of Swiss?
Yes, there is. The SD Media Launcher should be able to launch the .dol files. I just tried today to use the SD Media Launcher with a autoexec.dol (which is swiss) on the my SD and it booted it directly.
dolphin wrote:Can i also use a SDGecko or the offical SD Memory Card released by Nintendo for this purpose?
Yes.
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
dolphin

Re: Some very newbie questions about launching software from a SD Media Launcher

Post by dolphin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks for answering my questions!
I have another one though:
In order to use SDGecko or the official SD Memory Card by Nintendo, would i need a software CD like the one included with the Datel Media Launcher?
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Either that, a modchip or an exploitable game.

For example the homebros exploit lets you execute homebrew. You just need the right save and one additional file on the memorycard. Either Brosexec or McLauncher.
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.