RGB and 480p from a PAL Gamecube/SD Card queries

All your console related questions and answers :)
Casually Hardcore

RGB and 480p from a PAL Gamecube/SD Card queries

Post by Casually Hardcore » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Hello all,

Am new here but just wondering if what I'm theorising is possible...

I have a PAL GC and an RGB Scart, however I'd like to get 480p from the same system (don't worry I know I need the horrendously expensive component cable first)

What I'm assuming is I'd need a mod chip? Does Xeno allow me to force video modes as I don't think other chips are easily accessible anymore.

In an ideal world, it would make my system region free and allow to use both video modes. The reason why RGB is important as I'd like to use RGB forced 240p for the GBA player as the system is connected to my wide-screen Sony BVM CRT monitor.

Lastly I am somewhat intrigued by the ability to load games via an SD card, what is the maximum size capacity that is accepted? I know you can use a hard drive on the Wii but at the cost of image quality - which I'm sure you can tell is important to me.

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks I'm advance.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: RGB and 480p from a PAL Gamecube/SD Card queries

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:31 am

Yes you can get 480p on a PAL GC via the component cable or anything that works by connecting to the Digital Out port (you can't get progressive output over the RGB Scart cable that goes into the analog port).

Swiss will boot homebrew, games from SD Card and many other devices (including from your original DVD discs). It can force many video modes such as 240p, 480p, 576p, etc from games booted via any device it supports - just grab the latest version which contains all the various bootable forms of it.

How you boot Swiss is entirely up to you, there are many ways. If you have a Wii you can set up a memory card for your GameCube to boot Swiss via a memory card exploit if you have one of the supported games. Or you could install a XenoGC and burn a bootable disc containing Swiss.