Noob Q: Booting Homebrew without Discs?

All your console related questions and answers :)
Repton

Noob Q: Booting Homebrew without Discs?

Post by Repton » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:21 pm

Hi, I've been reading a lot about GC homebrew and mods, this forum has been super informative, but I'm still not entirely certain - Is there a way to boot homebrew (I'm mainly interested in the Gameboy Interface!!) without having to use a boot disc every time you want to play? There seems to be lots of cool exploits and mods but I cant tell if any of them let you do this.
theclaw

Re: Noob Q: Booting Homebrew without Discs?

Post by theclaw » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:18 am

A real GameCube needs hardware mods. No system menu exploit found.
I'm not familiar with bypassing the drive, but for typical use I'd aim to keep it functional. I believe game compatibility is best from discs.

Look into what has comparable features to the currently sold-out megadrive v4.
http://www.badassconsoles.com/megadrive-v4/
Repton

Post by Repton » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:02 pm

Thanks for the reply! Yeah Ive heard game compatibility is better on discs too, but I actually own most of the GC games I might want to play so I'm much more interested in homebrew apps like the improved GB player. I'll bookmark that Megadrive v4 page, thanks :) I have seen other hardware mods with an in-built SD card (think it was a XENOS mod?) but alas they still required a boot disc I think. I shall have to stick with discs then for now, think I'll try the Windwaker softmod..
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:57 am

Repton wrote:Thanks for the reply! Yeah Ive heard game compatibility is better on discs too, but I actually own most of the GC games I might want to play so I'm much more interested in homebrew apps like the improved GB player. I'll bookmark that Megadrive v4 page, thanks :) I have seen other hardware mods with an in-built SD card (think it was a XENOS mod?) but alas they still required a boot disc I think. I shall have to stick with discs then for now, think I'll try the Windwaker softmod..
You've probably already seen this page: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... g_Homebrew

Of those methods, the only current methods available are 1. a XenoGC but it requires a disc or 2. WASP drive replacement via Megadrive.

XenoGC is a cheaper less invasive option but you'll need to boot a backup disc of Swiss at least.