NTSC Game to PAL GBA game?

All your console related questions and answers :)
ananas

NTSC Game to PAL GBA game?

Post by ananas » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:39 am

This is a bit of a hefty question, so please bear with me.

I have a modded Wii (with a chip, not a soft mod), and I was wondering if it's possible to link between a NTSC version of Pokemon Colosseum and a PAL version of Pokemon Ruby (granted that both games are in the same language). The reason why I can't test it out myself at the moment is because the Wii is at my mother's residence and she lives quite far away, so I probably won't have it until the end of this month.

Also, another question I'm wondering is if the modded Wii should be able to play GameCube games from any region. My memory is a bit fuzzy right now and I haven't touched that Wii in years, but if my memory serves me correct then this should be the case, right?

Thanks in advance.
theclaw

Re: NTSC Game to PAL GBA game?

Post by theclaw » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:25 pm

PAL English Pokemon Ruby is fine on NTSC Pokemon Colosseum. Other PAL languages are unlikely to work.

Playing GameCube games from any region can get messy. There's compatibility issues to watch out for. (mainly the language / character encoding of Japanese games)
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Very few games are sensitive to the encoding. If your modchip patches gamecube games to bypass the region check (which is made by the game), then you're good.
ananas

Post by ananas » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:58 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Very few games are sensitive to the encoding. If your modchip patches gamecube games to bypass the region check (which is made by the game), then you're good.
Last I checked I was able to play my PAL Colosseum on the Wii (which is NTSC), so there shouldn't be issues running that on a backup disc, right?
ananas

Post by ananas » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:09 pm

theclaw wrote:PAL English Pokemon Ruby is fine on NTSC Pokemon Colosseum. Other PAL languages are unlikely to work.

Playing GameCube games from any region can get messy. There's compatibility issues to watch out for. (mainly the language / character encoding of Japanese games)
Thanks for the reply. Greatly appreciated.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:19 pm

ananas wrote:Last I checked I was able to play my PAL Colosseum on the Wii (which is NTSC), so there shouldn't be issues running that on a backup disc, right?
It'll be fine.
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:20 am

Streetwalker wrote:Very few games are sensitive to the encoding. If your modchip patches gamecube games to bypass the region check (which is made by the game), then you're good.
Hey. F-Zero GX is hilarious. :lol:
A mangled wreck of English, Engrish, Japanese, and missing graphics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuUP0V5Gdok
ananas wrote:Last I checked I was able to play my PAL Colosseum on the Wii (which is NTSC), so there shouldn't be issues running that on a backup disc, right?
No. I don't think so.

Although you may find the extra languages in some PAL games missing unless forced. NTSC systems have fewer settings.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:50 am

theclaw wrote: A mangled wreck of English, Engrish, Japanese, and missing graphics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuUP0V5Gdok
I'm aware, that's just one game though. ;) I know a couple others have issues with it but only a handful.
ananas

Post by ananas » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Got another question here, sorry if it isn't appropriate to post it in this thread.

Will a NTSC Wii play on a PAL TV? I heard that newer ones should be able to but I'm not entirely sure.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:24 pm

If it's an LCD TV then there's no reason why it wouldn't work. An old CRT could fail at it though.