Problem at Programming GCVideo lite

All your console related questions and answers :)
RodneyMcKay

Problem at Programming GCVideo lite

Post by RodneyMcKay » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:53 am

Hello GCF-Community,
I have all the Parts together to make my first Gamecube Portable in Combination with my newly built 3D Printer.
Since a few Days im trying to get my freshly soldered gcvideo lite board working.
I had an Xilinx Programmer lying around and thought to myself: " well that should work just fine".
Turned out it didn't go as planned. Im using the Impact Software Version 10.1 (Yes it's old i know but everything newer just completely refuses to install on my Win7 Machine).
Everytime i want to Program it i get following Message in the Logs:

ERROR:iMPACT:2613 - Failed ScanDR: TDO 00000000 does not match Expected TDO(012b9043)
EXCEPTION:iMPACT:SVFReader.c:333:1.20 - Scan Data Mismatch.
INFO:iMPACT:2146 - Play svf failed.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time = 0 sec.
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.

I already checked my solder Connections under a microscope several times for any Bridges but there are none. The Board is also powered of the 3.3V Line on the Gamecube and the Programmer has a green LED lighting up.
I tried reinstalling , installing like 10 Software Versions and even did a reformat of Windows.
I don't really know what it could be. (Or it's Error #404 - Sitting in Front of the PC , who knows?)
Maybe someone here in the Community can help me out. That would be awesome!
Thanks in advance.
RodneyMcKay
Unseen

Re: Problem at Programming GCVideo lite

Post by Unseen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:48 am

RodneyMcKay wrote:ERROR:iMPACT:2613 - Failed ScanDR: TDO 00000000 does not match Expected TDO(012b9043)
Your JTAG interface reads a constant low level on its TDO pin. Check that your JTAG interface is actually working correctly, that all of its its connections to the FPGA board are correct (all of them, including VCC and GND!) and that the FPGA receives power on all of its voltage rails.
Asking for support by PM is anti-social. Ask in an open forum instead, so other people can benefit from the answers!
RodneyMcKay

Post by RodneyMcKay » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:07 pm

The FPGA is receiving power on all rails like it should be (3.3V directly from the Gamecube Regulator Board). After the renewal of my board i am now 1 step further. Now i get a "Identify Succeeded" on the Workspace. The Workspace stays Empty though. I downloaded the BSDL File from Lattice Page and add a new device from this BSDL File. It gets recognized in the Workspace and i add an Configuration File and do a rightclick -> Execute and then i get the Error with the TDO Scan again with full 0 or full f. I really dont know where to look or am i doing totally wrong or missing a Step? The Diamond Software is no possibility since it does not accept third party Programmers that are not genuine Lattice Programmers or clones of them.

Edit: Do i need to conenct all cables in order to Program this thing or is it enough to just connect it to a Power Source? I just tested the JTAG chain and TDO is stuck on low or on high. Is there a way to look if tdo is intact?

Edit 2: I opened up the Programmer and what i found was horrifying!!! The Connector of the JTAG Pins was only soldered at the outer Edges. The Pins inbetween were completely unsoldered. I soldered them and i instantly got a successful TDO reading (not only 0 or f). Im still having a little issue though. The Chain detects 6 devices (atleast it detects something!) and i dont know why that is. I have to look in to this.

Edit 3: Chain Detects 1 unknown device in Chain. I now get a different Error.
The Error is as follows: ERROR:iMPACT - On line 81,Failed ScanDR: TDO 03800000 does not match Expected TDO(012b9043).
That means that The FPGA is detected i think. Lets look if i can figure it out.
Unseen

Post by Unseen » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:01 am

RodneyMcKay wrote:The FPGA is receiving power on all rails like it should be (3.3V directly from the Gamecube Regulator Board). After the renewal of my board i am now 1 step further. Now i get a "Identify Succeeded" on the Workspace. The Workspace stays Empty though.
You shouldn't need to load a BSDL file to use Impact as an SVF player - but I don't remember the exact steps since I haven't used it for that in a long time. In fact I don't even know if that feature was available in 10.1 or if it was added later.
Edit: Do i need to conenct all cables in order to Program this thing or is it enough to just connect it to a Power Source? I just tested the JTAG chain and TDO is stuck on low or on high. Is there a way to look if tdo is intact?
The board must be powered externally, but it doesn't have to be connected to a Gamecube for that. The VCC cable on a proper JTAG interface is an input though and not used to power the circuit - instead, the JTAG interface uses it to power its own output drivers so it can work with FPGAs running at various voltages.
The Error is as follows: ERROR:iMPACT - On line 81,Failed ScanDR: TDO 03800000 does not match Expected TDO(012b9043).
Yay, progress! =)
Asking for support by PM is anti-social. Ask in an open forum instead, so other people can benefit from the answers!
RodneyMcKay

Post by RodneyMcKay » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 am

Yay, atleast some progress :D
I have a new Problem now. After i rebooted my PC due to an Update cause i could not stand that popup by windows any longer, the device count detected is random. I get 3 devices then 12 then over 30 and so on. I will take my usb microscope and check for bridges again and then i try it again.

Sometimes i get something like this:

INFO:iMPACT:583 - '1': The idcode read from the device does not match the idcode in the bsdl File.
INFO:iMPACT:1578 - '1': Device IDCODE : 11111111111111111111111100000000
INFO:iMPACT:1579 - '1': Expected IDCODE: 00000001001010111001000001000011

INFO:iMPACT:1588 - '11':The part does not appear to be Xilinx Part. (Of course it is not.)
'11': : Manufacturer's ID =Unknown , Version : 0
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.

ERROR:iMPACT - Boundary-scan chain test failed. Please check tdi->tdo connection between device:'1' ( 'LCMXO2_640HC_XXTG100') and the cable . A problem may exist in the hardware configuration. Check that the cable, scan chain, and power connections are intact, that the specified scan chain configuration matches the actual hardware, and that the power supply is adequate and delivering the correct voltage. (Yay the name of the IC is correct atleast)

Edit: NOT Random at all. The Steps are like this.

1. Open Impact
2. Connect Cable and Set the Frequency to 1Mhz like stated in the PDF Provided by the maker of gcvideo
3. Boundary Scan
4. "There May be an Error with your Hardware" but it says Identify Succeeded though.
5. Boundary Scan and 12 Devices get detected.
6. I delete all except the Last one and add the BSDL and the SVF File to it. The Symbol changes to SVF.
7. I click program and get the above error.
8. Start at Step 3 again. I could loop this all day.

Im very puzzled on what it could be.

Edit 2: I think i just successfully bricked my Programmer because Impact crashed right in the middle on an firmware patch. I have to look if i can fix that.

Edit 3: The Programmer is running again. What i did: Uninstalling all Xilinx related Drivers and Software and unistalling the USB Driver. Reinstalling USB Driver and installing ISE 10.1 Again did the trick. An update Menu came up and patched the Firmware without any errors. Any version after that simply did not work or gave me the option to update the firmware. (Yes you can set the update Flag in Batch Mode, did that,did not do anything). I got the Firmware updated and now i have a proper ID from that damn thing. Lets see if i can Program the Board finally tomorrow.

If there are any questions on my setup just ask and i provide what i can.
RodneyMcKay

Post by RodneyMcKay » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Little Update, I just reinstalled Windows and all Drivers needed and ordered a new Programmer, since the other one wont turn on anymore. Lets see if it was the programmer.
RodneyMcKay

Post by RodneyMcKay » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:24 pm

Unseen wrote:
RodneyMcKay wrote:The FPGA is receiving power on all rails like it should be (3.3V directly from the Gamecube Regulator Board). After the renewal of my board i am now 1 step further. Now i get a "Identify Succeeded" on the Workspace. The Workspace stays Empty though.
You shouldn't need to load a BSDL file to use Impact as an SVF player - but I don't remember the exact steps since I haven't used it for that in a long time. In fact I don't even know if that feature was available in 10.1 or if it was added later.
The board must be powered externally, but it doesn't have to be connected to a Gamecube for that. The VCC cable on a proper JTAG interface is an input though and not used to power the circuit - instead, the JTAG interface uses it to power its own output drivers so it can work with FPGAs running at various voltages.
Yay, progress! =)
Hmm no Progress. I ordered the Parts again, soldered them again got 2 new Programmers one with Serial Port and one with USB and tried with 3 different PCs different Windows Versions, Impact versions ranging from 10.1 to 14.7 and it did not work at all. All i get is "There may be an Issue with your hardware".In every 50-100 tries i get an unknown device but it never lasts long and as soon as i click on it the device is disconnected again. But i cant find any problems at all. Im on the edge to stop working on it because for the money i spent to get it running i can get a brand new Original Component Cable. I dont know why it isnt working. Maybe you have an idea.

I also made a little Video on Youtube. Yes i know its potato Quality and im sorry for that but i dont really wanna tweak OBS right now. But you can read everything. If i do something wrong please tell me, the only hing holding me back is this Board at the moment. Thank you in advance : https://youtu.be/1s21VralI6I
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:56 am

If you have a platform cable USB or clone, the light should be off when you plug it in, then the xilinx tools will upload firmware to the cable, the device will reconnect, and the light will turn red (or green if you have the JTAG vref plugged in, which is needed for programming).
RodneyMcKay

Post by RodneyMcKay » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 am

The cable is detected properly and the LED is blue when i add 3V to the Board. If i Remove the voltage the LED goes red.

My Jtag order is this : VCC, Tms, tck, tdi, tdo, gnd. Is that correct?

Its most probably a software error but i dont have access to another computer to test it.
RodneyMcKay

Post by RodneyMcKay » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:19 am

Little update. Got a genuine Lattice and Xilinx Programmer from a friend and the same Error persists. I have soldered my 3rd board now and im 100% sure the Parts are not the issue. I took a microscope to check if there any bridges or floating pins. There are none. Every Software i tried just detects the cable and no device attached to it.
I tested it under following Operating Systems: windows xp, windows 7, windows 7 32bit, MacOsx Yosemite, Ubuntu. The Error persists.
I tried 10 Versions of ISE and Programming Tools, Changed PC, Changed Ports, Reinstalled windows 7 and all Drivers and i cant get the Device to be detected successfully by any means. The Impact Software Reports an FPGa for a split second and then it disappears again. I Cant get it working no matter what.
I tried multiple soldering Methods: first Boards not flat tip, second board, flat tip for FPGA and Hot air for the other parts, 3rd Board Reflow Oven. Nothing worked. Maybe some of you have any idea what it could be.
It would be really nice if i could get a response to this. Thank you in advance.
RodneyMcKay

Post by RodneyMcKay » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:28 am

After trying the same procedure on Windows 10 it worked on the first try. Something was borked with my Windows 7 Machine in combination with my Hardware. Don't know what it was, but now it works and i can add it to my build :D