DVD-r capacity

All your console related questions and answers :)
rufusvg

DVD-r capacity

Post by rufusvg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:19 pm

Hi all. New to the forums so bear with me.
I have the iso for zelda and once extracted it is 1.5gb. How do i fit this onto a 1.4gb mini dvd-r? It was 1.1gb before extraction so thought would fit. :|
rufusvg

Re: DVD-r capacity

Post by rufusvg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:30 am

https://www.epforums.org/showthread.php ... r-mini-DVD

Think this may answer my own question.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Different software will measure the size either the SI way or in powers of 1024, which explains the discrepancy. It will definitely fit.
rufusvg

Post by rufusvg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:30 pm

I've tried burning my first Maxell disk and it says 'the disk could not be read'. It was burnt with k3b burner with Ubuntu. Bugga. Not sure what to try next?
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:08 am

rufusvg wrote:I've tried burning my first Maxell disk and it says 'the disk could not be read'. It was burnt with k3b burner with Ubuntu. Bugga. Not sure what to try next?
Gamecubes are picky about burned media. Nintendo adjusted the laser for official titles, I'd start with that.
You may find some combinations of settings, burners, disks, or games just won't work right.
rufusvg

Post by rufusvg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:38 am

Hi thanks for the reply. Yeah I've managed to burn some with no errors on first try with game play. No long periods of play tho. That was with imgburn on windows. Good little free burner. So far half of eight have worked other half return error after the first game screen so don't actually make it into game play itself. Gonna try and unpack in Ubuntu, burn in windows and from a different ...backup... .
I don't really want to go down the pot tweak route as don't like taking things apart. As bought the unit pre modded from eBay as well and was meant to be working fine but obviously with different burner, media and back ups. POT tweak may be a last resort as will prove much cheaper if I can get my Maxell disks working constantly.