Disk read error question

All your console related questions and answers :)
therealfalco

Disk read error question

Post by therealfalco » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:02 am

Hello everybody!
I apologize for this being long, but I'm very confused by my game cube problem and what seems to be causing it.
======
While playing some smash, one of my friends tripped over a cable and the console dropped on a hard floor causing the lid to pop open and project the game disk out of the machine. (RIP Cube?)
There is no cosmetic damage to the cube nor the disk besides some scratches that I believe to have already been there. After setting everything back up, we were getting the Game Disk cannot be read error after the intro sequence to smash. (It would play the full intro and it would fail after pressing start every time)
We were able to play monkey ball for well over half an hour so I figured the disk was damaged in some way. The next day my friend brought his copy of smash but after a small amount of time we started receiving the same disk error at various times like after a match or after the startup sequence. I had my Wii with me so we set everything up the same with my friends known working disk and still was seeing the same disk read error. So at this time we have eliminated the game and the system as causing problems which only left controllers and memory cards as things to rule out. We at this time took out my memory card and proceeded to play just fine without any problems.
When we played monkey ball the previous day I didn't have any save files for it and we didn't save a game to it when we played for that half hour. (Just monkey target)
Have you guys ever heard of a memory card causing a disk read error? It was in some way accessing the memory card when the disk read error happened but why would it come up as disk read and not a memory card error? This doesn't make sense to me.

I very much appreciate any comments on my situation.
Sierron

Re: Disk read error question

Post by Sierron » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:34 pm

You say that happens for both systems? At first I thought it could be something broken off ... but if the same happens for the wii.

And no, never heard of memorycards giving errors. Do you have another memorycard to use instead and see if the error still appears?
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
therealfalco

Re: Disk read error question

Post by therealfalco » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:25 pm

I don't have another memory card but I was going to order a new one because of what I tried.
The disk read error was still occurring with a known working smash disk and Wii. It seemed to go away with removing the memory card with us being able to play fine for at least an hour after that point.
I do assume that a disk read error can only be caused by the disk or the system which is why I wanted to check on if I'm missing anything.