Swiss multidisc help and also I guess the laser's dead?

All your console related questions and answers :)
cocklederry

Swiss multidisc help and also I guess the laser's dead?

Post by cocklederry » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:24 am

So my mini dvd-r's just came in, I've burned a couple of backups as well as a swiss disc and they work fine but I decided that I wanted a disc that boots up swiss and also has GBI and 240p test suite because I'm lazy and I don't have an SD adapter.

Unfortunately I'm too much of a gibbon to make it work, and I've already made myself 2 coasters (GC just says disc could not be read, no matter what) following the guides on the gcf wiki. Basically I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I'm kind of upset that I've ruined discs like an idiot, so I want somebody smarter than me to make and upload a disc image with these utilities that actually works.

Could somebody do this for me (or just point me towards somewhere somebody already has), or at least help me out with making one that's more than just a waste of my precious non-rewritable media?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: so I started up my gamecube this morning and it won't read any discs. They spin up, the laser goes up and down the disc a bit, then it slams to the middle, makes a buzzing sound, and shows the "an error has occurred" message over the splash screen. This happens no matter what disc, burned or original, mini or standard dvd, in all the media I have. I tried cleaning the laser and adjusting the pot and neither of those did anything (well, anything useful, at higher values on the pot the disc doesn't spin up) so I'm assuming I've fried the laser somehow. Is there any way to know for sure so I don't end up wasting money on a part I don't need?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Swiss multidisc help and also I guess the laser's dead?

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:03 am

cocklederry wrote: EDIT: so I started up my gamecube this morning and it won't read any discs. They spin up, the laser goes up and down the disc a bit, then it slams to the middle, makes a buzzing sound, and shows the "an error has occurred" message over the splash screen. This happens no matter what disc, burned or original, mini or standard dvd, in all the media I have. I tried cleaning the laser and adjusting the pot and neither of those did anything (well, anything useful, at higher values on the pot the disc doesn't spin up) so I'm assuming I've fried the laser somehow. Is there any way to know for sure so I don't end up wasting money on a part I don't need?
Assuming you have a XenoGC, boot an original disc and hold down start from boot until when the game is supposed to have started, if a menu/credits screen comes up your XenoGC is OK and your laser is just failing to read backups now. There are other methods here to check/adjust your laser to extend the life but it sounds like you've already tried. I've seen a laser go from completely working to completely dead when trying to read a dvd-rw disc a few years ago in a matter of 30 minutes so your media may have had a detrimental effect on it - if it's still reading originals maybe stick to just those.

I can make you an ISO if you need it still - just let me know.
cocklederry

Post by cocklederry » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:46 pm

It's not reading originals either, unfortunately. I've gone and ordered a new laser because I'm like 90% certain this is the fault of the dvd+r's I was using before I got minis (when I was using those I had to tweak the pot every other boot to make it read, that's probably what killed it) but when I get that (assuming it works, replacement lasers have been a bit iffy for me in the past) I would very much appreciate an iso, thank you.
cocklederry

Post by cocklederry » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:45 pm

New laser arrived, it's working with my originals as well as some of my backups with the pot somewhere around 190-200 ohms. I ended up getting some other mini dvd-rs (fujifims that my reader/writer seems to think are ritek, so I guess that's good?) as well, and they seem to work better than the philips ones I have/had before.

As I said before, that disc image would be much appreciated, if you could upload/link it here, I would be very grateful.

EDIT: So apparently either I'm an idiot with magic laser destruction powers or some part of my gamecube other than the laser is responsible for my problems because after maybe 5 reads, I started getting DREs again (and went through that ever worrying cycle of turning the pot down, getting it to work for 10 minutes, and then getting more DREs) with this new laser. I don't know if I should complain to the seller of the replacement laser or just test with a different gamecube (I'm probably gonna do both, because there's no reason not to).
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:19 am

cocklederry wrote:New laser arrived, it's working with my originals as well as some of my backups with the pot somewhere around 190-200 ohms. I ended up getting some other mini dvd-rs (fujifims that my reader/writer seems to think are ritek, so I guess that's good?) as well, and they seem to work better than the philips ones I have/had before.

As I said before, that disc image would be much appreciated, if you could upload/link it here, I would be very grateful.

EDIT: So apparently either I'm an idiot with magic laser destruction powers or some part of my gamecube other than the laser is responsible for my problems because after maybe 5 reads, I started getting DREs again (and went through that ever worrying cycle of turning the pot down, getting it to work for 10 minutes, and then getting more DREs) with this new laser. I don't know if I should complain to the seller of the replacement laser or just test with a different gamecube (I'm probably gonna do both, because there's no reason not to).
I've had new lasers go "bad" like that too, I don't know if it's because they were incorrectly installed or just cheap quality but it's an irreversible process.
cocklederry

Post by cocklederry » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:17 am

Okay, contacted the seller and got another laser free, and it's already lasted longer than the previous one, at about 250 ohms it's reading all my discs without skipping and pausing during FMVs or getting any errors like the last one was.