Xenogc help

All your console related questions and answers :)
idsblake

Xenogc help

Post by idsblake » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:47 pm

Hello all!

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

I recently purchased a xenogc from the ol eBay. After installing directly to the board I was only able to get the chip to show solid red. So I then went back over the joints and still same issue. Next I tried removing the chip and it pulled up a couple contacts which made me need to flip the board over to solder to the alternative points with wires. Well having the exact same issue, only a solid red light. I'm at my wits end with this install. Have no idea what else to try and I'm to the point where I'd almost rather ask someone to fix it if possible, if there is someone willing. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance !
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Xenogc help

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:36 am

dilav

Post by dilav » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Post some photos, maybe someone can spot your install problem.
OttoBaus

Post by OttoBaus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Just chiming in to say that I recently installed a Xeno myself and had similar issues. I was also forced to resort to the alternate install points to salvage my botched (or so I had thought) operation.

However, after close examination, it seems that the orange LED on the new clones are basically red to my eyes. I can only just tell the difference if I catch it when it immediately boots. If I so much as even blink, it appears as solid red despite patching successfully. Make sure to test it by holding START when you boot up to see if it will display the XenoShell. If I had done this instead of automatically assuming the worst, I would have saved myself some time and head-ache.

Once I realized that, it was a series of simple pot tweaks to find the sweet spot, and I was off to the races.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:52 pm

OttoBaus wrote:Just chiming in to say that I recently installed a Xeno myself and had similar issues. I was also forced to resort to the alternate install points to salvage my botched (or so I had thought) operation.

However, after close examination, it seems that the orange LED on the new clones are basically red to my eyes. I can only just tell the difference if I catch it when it immediately boots. If I so much as even blink, it appears as solid red despite patching successfully. Make sure to test it by holding START when you boot up to see if it will display the XenoShell. If I had done this instead of automatically assuming the worst, I would have saved myself some time and head-ache.

Once I realized that, it was a series of simple pot tweaks to find the sweet spot, and I was off to the races.
I've seen one that only had a RED LED on it, cloners are really cutting back costs these days :P

It's good to use the guide in the wiki link I posted above since you can eliminate failure points.
idsblake

Post by idsblake » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks for all the help an suggestions. I'll open it back up and post a couple photos. I ran through the wiki for troubleshooting on both the original install and the second one I tried but still no XenoShell or reading of the game that I have burned. I was mainly looking for the shell as that would be the best notifier that it was installed correctly and working. I am almost to the point of thinking that I may have gotten a bum mod chip from ebay. (at least it makes me feel better to think that at this point). I know everyone suggests eurasia for buying a Xenogc from but is there anywhere in the US that you guys would suggest?
OttoBaus

Post by OttoBaus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:41 pm

emu_kidid wrote:I've seen one that only had a RED LED on it, cloners are really cutting back costs these days :P
Yeah, I just checked ebay, and they now go for as little as $3 USD! Wow!
idsblake wrote:I know everyone suggests eurasia for buying a Xenogc from but is there anywhere in the US that you guys would suggest?
For as cheap as they are on ebay, there isn't much risk associated with picking up one from there as far as I can tell. The one that I use was bought there from user daily_focus for about $8 USD, and I received it from China in about a week. Which is amazingly fast in my experience ordering overseas using the free shipping option. If you have to purchase from a US seller, you will pay a bit more. But it is still very inexpensive.

I generally only purchase things like this from sellers who have sold several, as denoted by the counter on the listing. And I always run through the feedback to make sure that people have gotten something that works within a reasonable time-frame.
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 pm

yeah there all pretty much the same so ebay's fine
gcboy

Post by gcboy » Thu May 18, 2017 4:45 am

I bought 3 xenogc on ebay worth $3 each and they work fine.

The ones i bought were version 2( XenoGC Shell v1.05) with two red led lights.