Best way to play GC Games

All your console related questions and answers :)
foxm2k

Best way to play GC Games

Post by foxm2k » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi,

what is the best way regarding compatibility and picture quality to play GC games?

I have:
- GC modded with a Viper GC Extreme BIOS v2.1
- Wii modded with Wii Wode and Softmod

Should I go for the Wii? Is it then worthwhile buying a Wii 2 HDMI converter? Or should I go for a GC to HDMI thing?

Appreciate your advice.

BR,
f0x
novenary

Re: Best way to play GC Games

Post by novenary » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:53 pm

GC with HDMI mod will be better than wii2hdmi. If you go for the Wii, regular component cables should be best unless your TV handles them poorly or not at all.

For running games, flash iplboot to your viper and use Swiss to load backups from SD gecko, or use nintendont on the Wii.
foxm2k

Post by foxm2k » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi,
thanks for your quick reply.
Can you please explain why a GC HDMI has better quality then a Wii over HDMI?
Unfortunately I am out of the business for the last 10 years. Where can I get the correct version of iplboot for my viper extreme? Is there perhaps a tutorial available showing how to flash (hope this works out of Windows 10) and configure Swiss, Gecko and so on?
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:07 pm

https://github.com/Streetwalrus/iplboot
I've added viper support to it and I think a few people have confirmed that it works. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to flash a viper (I have a qoob pro) so I'll leave that to someone else.

GC HDMI (or properly modding a Wii the same way, there's only a slight difference in the board firmware) is better, because it keeps everything digital from the console to the panel. Wii2HDMI implies digital to analog conversion within the Wii, and then back to digital in the adapter, which is lossy. See also this post which compares native video output quality (not including w2h nor gcvideo).
foxm2k

Post by foxm2k » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Thank you very much! I will try this next weekend! After having iplboot flashed I need a SD Gecko adapter for the gc memory slot and a SD card with swiss on it, right?

Thanks for your explanation! Makes total sense now!
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:50 am

Wouldn't the GameCube HDMI adapter work better then a internal HDMI mod because of the setting for the adapter it's self with use of a remote that wouldn't interfere with controller mappings for the Viper chip or am I missing something?
Found here https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home/single-post/pnpgc2
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:24 pm

There are no mappings for the viper afaik, especially not if you're using a custom bios instead of cobra.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Oh okay. I would love a viper chip but cannot find one so I don't have experience but I swear remembering something about mappings for the BIOS. Thank you for the correction.

Still think plugable HDMI would be a all around better option though