Gamecube Memory Card Slot A Not Working

All your console related questions and answers :)
Javier6215

Gamecube Memory Card Slot A Not Working

Post by Javier6215 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:27 am

So i recently bought a used gamecube online and of course it came with a defect. I put a memory card into the Slot A and it couldn't read the memory card. I inserted it into the Slot B and it read it just fine. This wouldn't have been such a big problem if games like Pac Man World 2 can't save onto Memory Card Slot B. It requires you to have it into Slot A. Is there any way i can fix this?
Sierron

Re: Gamecube Memory Card Slot A Not Working

Post by Sierron » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Can the Gamecube Main menu detect something or does it ignore any memory card you insert?

If you got your cube from a commercial seller, I would try to get it replaced or something in this way.

If that's not possible, then you could open up the cube and check if the slot has some kind of defect (broken of connector, pin or something).
This may could be fixed by you or someone else.
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Haven't seen many card slot issues.. I can send you a replacement front panel, just send me the defective one in return
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 pm

Card slots are on the mainboard.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:48 am

Yeah that's what I meant. Sorry don't know what I was thinking but I was at work when I wrote that lol. We can switch mainboards no problem
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:25 am

Javier6215 wrote:So i recently bought a used gamecube online and of course it came with a defect. I put a memory card into the Slot A and it couldn't read the memory card. I inserted it into the Slot B and it read it just fine. This wouldn't have been such a big problem if games like Pac Man World 2 can't save onto Memory Card Slot B. It requires you to have it into Slot A. Is there any way i can fix this?
I've had this happen with dirty GameCube consoles or ones that were exposed to a salty environment (friend who lived near the beach). Use a cheap memory card and spray some rubbing alcohol on the contacts in the slot and on the memory card itself and insert/remove it a few times rapidly - all while the console is off/unplugged of course.