Racing wheel compatibility for non-racing games

All your console related questions and answers :)
Chandy

Racing wheel compatibility for non-racing games

Post by Chandy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 pm

I have never owned one of the many third party racing wheels for the Gamecube, but I'm thinking of buying one for an unorthodox purpose so I figured I'd ask around here first.

Do racing wheels still work in non-racing games? In particular I am concerned about the gas and brake pedals and what buttons they translate to. I want to use these pedals for Donkey Konga 2; there's a freestyle mode that let's you jam with just the drum sounds, but as a drummer, I've always found it weird to play the bass drum and hi hat parts with my hands on the bongos. Even though racing pedals are a far cry from drum pedals in terms of feel, I could probably get used to it, and it would be a pretty solid meme in any case.

A lot of the racing wheels feature reprogrammable pedals and stick shift anyway, so the default button inputs themselves are not a big deal for me. Mostly I just want to know of Donkey Konga 2 will detect the wheel as a standard controller or not. Thanks in advance!
boredomca

Re: Racing wheel compatibility for non-racing games

Post by boredomca » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Any controller will work as the gamecube will just look for button presses. Gas - A, Brake - B, ect...
If your racing wheel has start,R,A,B,X and Y controls you will be fine. Can even rewire it if you know how.
Left Bongo Top - Y
Left Bongo Bottom - B
Right Bongo Top - X
Right Bongo Bottom - A
Clap - R
START/PAUSE - START/PAUSE

Hope this helps
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:31 pm

No, the protocol is slightly different.
Chandy

Post by Chandy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:19 pm

Well now I don't know who to believe. I went ahead and picked up a Madcatz MC2 6320 universal racing wheel for super cheap on ebay, I suppose we'll find out who's right!

I was asking around on some other forums and someone brought this video to my attention. Apparently the Madcatz wheels can be used on Smash 4, and they are recognized natively as standard Gamecube controllers (see the player 2 portrait, it's acting as a Gamecube controller). This leads me to believe there must be some degree of universal compatibility. Have either of y'all tried them with Donkey Konga on an actual console?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:51 pm

This particular wheel is probably fine, but the Logitech Speed Force Racing Wheel wouldn't be.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:13 pm

Most racing wheel combos are just rewired 3rd party controllers.
Most exceptions are USB and for PS2 & 3