US Gamecube DL-001 can't read Freeloader

All your console related questions and answers :)
redtea

US Gamecube DL-001 can't read Freeloader

Post by redtea » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:31 am

I bought a Freeloader disc on Ebay (version 1.0) so that I could play PAL games on my second-hand American Gamecube since it's more accessible for me after moving countries. But for whatever reason it won't read the disc. I've heard that the newer versions of the Gamecube don't work with Freeloader but mine is definitely the original one and since Freeloader isn't region locked within itself, it should be working. I can't figure out why it wouldn't be, unless I was given a dud version of Freeloader (though the packaging and product itself seem fine and was even sealed, if that means anything).

It could be the Gamecube itself, maybe, but it plays my American games fine. Or maybe I got the wrong version of Freeloader???

I'm not sure what to do in this situation and I feel a little desperate. I just want to know if this is fixable or if I should just resign to buying an old PAL Wii or paying for the shipping from America. Thanks in advance.
boredomca

Re: US Gamecube DL-001 can't read Freeloader

Post by boredomca » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:35 pm

On the top of the disk around the rim it should have a region code. Would of been cheaper to xeno chip it
redtea

Post by redtea » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:29 pm

boredomca wrote:On the top of the disk around the rim it should have a region code. Would of been cheaper to xeno chip it
Just checked the Freeloader disk and I don't see a code around the edge. There's just writing saying the name of the company, year, and that it's not sponsored by Nintendo.

I hadn't heard of a xeno chip but if that's my best bet I'll try it. To be honest I'm just clueless so I'm throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. Thanks for replying.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:42 pm

You can buy a clone on eBay for around $3 US but I would recommend a professional install and authentic XENO v2 as it supports multi disc. resident evil, GoldenEye, Ect...
Unless you're pretty good with a soldering iron because the pads do lift pretty easily and are small
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 am

redtea wrote:I bought a Freeloader disc on Ebay (version 1.0) so that I could play PAL games on my second-hand American Gamecube since it's more accessible for me after moving countries. But for whatever reason it won't read the disc. I've heard that the newer versions of the Gamecube don't work with Freeloader but mine is definitely the original one and since Freeloader isn't region locked within itself, it should be working. I can't figure out why it wouldn't be, unless I was given a dud version of Freeloader (though the packaging and product itself seem fine and was even sealed, if that means anything).

It could be the Gamecube itself, maybe, but it plays my American games fine. Or maybe I got the wrong version of Freeloader???

I'm not sure what to do in this situation and I feel a little desperate. I just want to know if this is fixable or if I should just resign to buying an old PAL Wii or paying for the shipping from America. Thanks in advance.
Early freeloader discs were region free (somehow!) but the later ones (for Wii especially) were region locked. Can you post a picture of your disc/packaging?

When the drive spins your disc up do you hear it successfully spin it up like a real disc (where the sound of the drive gets louder before it goes quiet if you know what I mean), or does it make clicking sounds or none at all? It's not out of the ordinary for the GameCube to still happily read original media but completely ignore Freeloader/Datel discs because of their poor quality on a worn laser.