SD Loader on modded GC

All your console related questions and answers :)
Luca91

SD Loader on modded GC

Post by Luca91 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi all,
I'd like to be able to boot my gc games from an SD card without using any dvd inserted in the disc tray.
I have a GC modded with Viper Standard (not the Extreme edition), running Cobra 1.6 (AFAIK this is the last version).
I'd like to use a large (32/64 GB) sd card if possible, and I'm going to buy "Sd Gecko v2" from Amazon.

How should I proceed exactly? My cobra bios doesn't have the "plugin" menu entry.
What should I install? Is what I'm asking possible?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I've just realized that Cobra v2.1 is available. Should I install it? I haven't the Viper Programmer anymore, but I should be able to burn the vgc file on a mini dvd and install it from the menu, right??
novenary

Re: SD Loader on modded GC

Post by novenary » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Use iplboot instead of Cobra, put the latest Swiss build on your SD card as your ipl.dol and that's all you need.
Luca91

Post by Luca91 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Use iplboot instead of Cobra, put the latest Swiss build on your SD card as your ipl.dol and that's all you need.
Hi, thank you for your reply Streetwalker!
Well, I've never heard of iplboot. I'll google for it!

If I'll flash it, will I lose the ability to boot original/backup games from discs? And I'll still be able to boot to original bios in case I need it? And last, what happens if I'll boot without an sd card?
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:31 am

Swiss can do everything Cobra does. If you turn on the console without an SD card or reset from within Swiss, you should get the regular IPL.
Luca91

Post by Luca91 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Swiss can do everything Cobra does. If you turn on the console without an SD card or reset from within Swiss, you should get the regular IPL.
Perfect, thank you.

ah, I saw this swiss compatibility list: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... ility_List
I'd like to know if this also apply to games booted from original/bakcup discs. Because, well, these games booted from disc, works perfectly on Cobra.

One I get this answer, I can order the sd gecko v2 adapter with a 32GB card :D
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:16 pm

The compatibility list isn't fully updated, and DVD backups have perfect compatibility.
Luca91

Post by Luca91 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Streetwalker wrote:The compatibility list isn't fully updated, and DVD backups have perfect compatibility.
Thank you very much for your help! I'll buy the SD Card adapter soon.
Luca91

Post by Luca91 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 am

Today I received my memory card and flashed iplboot! Everything is working thank you Streetwalker!!

Out of curiosity: I've lost my viper programmer, so I flashed iplboot using a mini-dvd. If a future version of iplboot will be released, is there a way to upgrade? I mean, is there any homebrew to flash a vcg file to my viper modchip?
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 pm

None that I'm aware of unfortunately, but you most likely won't need to update iplboot. I'm not actively working on it, nor do I have a reason to make changes, and if I release an update it should be minor enough. There might be a way to load the viper IPL without flashing it to the chip and flash from there, I need to investigate that option.
Luca91

Post by Luca91 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Streetwalker wrote:None that I'm aware of unfortunately, but you most likely won't need to update iplboot. I'm not actively working on it, nor do I have a reason to make changes, and if I release an update it should be minor enough. There might be a way to load the viper IPL without flashing it to the chip and flash from there, I need to investigate that option.
Using the *live* viper IPL would be awesome (just to flash the updated version of iplboot, if any). I'm asking this because I saw in the latest commit messages that you was working on ex-fat support, and since I've flashed the latest stable from the release page, I think I don't have such feature.

Anyway, thank you very much for this awesome ipl replacement, it is extremely good.
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:50 pm

Yeah, exfat support is part of fatfs (the FAT library that I'm using), but I won't release a build with it enabled until Swiss supports it, unless I have something else to release. There's no need for >4GB files on the GC.