XenoGC Can't read backups.

All your console related questions and answers :)
Toomuchsugar

XenoGC Can't read backups.

Post by Toomuchsugar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:48 am

The chip is labeled as Xen8gc, wired it to the board and it seems to be functioning. Red light blinks once on bootup, then blinks along with the laser. While holding Start and running a oem disc, I get the version display/pal.

I've tried multiple DVD-Rs(including Verbatim), two different dvd drives(An ASUS and a Sony), using imgburn software for all attempts, and yet to get a game to launch. I've adjusted the pot many times, keeping it within the 180+ range.

Seems that no matter what I do, I get the "An error has occurred. Turn the power OFF and check the NINTENDO GAMECUBE instructions booklet for further instructions. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Edit: Also all the burns have been at 4x speed, as it's the slowest option I'm allowed.
novenary

Re: XenoGC Can't read backups.

Post by novenary » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:35 am

180 ohm is too high, you can go all the way down to 0 if needed.
Ritek g04 discs are usually recommended, and 4x is not necessarily too fast.
Do the games boot and error out, or do you get an error in the IPL?
Toomuchsugar

Post by Toomuchsugar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:40 pm

It doesn't seem like the backups are booting at all, the system tries to read them then gives off the error.

edit: lowering the pot down to 30 seems to have got it to work, holy shit. Thanks you.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Your laser won't last long at this level though, so I'd still recommend trying better media that should be able to work at a higher value.
Toomuchsugar

Post by Toomuchsugar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:19 pm

better media was the first thing I tried, figured verbatim was top of the line so I got it. Got it to work with those discs and nothing else at around 60 ohms.

Only using this gamecube for the Gameboy player which I don't think uses the disc for anything but loading up the hardware.
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:04 am

Like I said, ritek g04 is considered the best for GC, far better than verbatim.
The GBP startup disc probably doesn't use the disc much, but as long as the disc spins, the laser is on and wears down, so be careful.
Vendest

Post by Vendest » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:38 pm

I am using unbranded China made mini-DVD. I had to adjust the DVD drive pot from 198ohm to 142ohm just to be able to load swiss.
However a game I burnt will keep giving errors after booting even when tweaking the pot down to 100ohm.
Hence I cannot recommend buying this brand.
https://imgur.com/YI749Vx
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Don't bother too much with burning DVDs. As long as you can load Swiss, you can use an SD adapter and boot your games from there. Much less effort.
Vendest

Post by Vendest » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Yes I agree with you although I can see that a fair number of games won't work when loaded from a SD card.