Discs getting scratched

All your console related questions and answers :)
ThePatriotGamer

Discs getting scratched

Post by ThePatriotGamer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi, all ... looked all over for a solution before posting, but could not find any solutions!

I have a gamecube that is scratching my discs! When I load a disc, the 'cube makes a clicking noise and leave tiny circle scratches on the disc. I can't find anything in the tray that would scratch, and the laserhead is below the surface of the tray.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Discs getting scratched

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:29 am

The clicking noise might just be the laser moving along the rails to hit the start/end. Can it still read discs?

I'd take the GameCube apart and see if the discs sit evenly on the spindle
ThePatriotGamer

Post by ThePatriotGamer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:56 am

Thanks for answering! That's the weirdest part, I've worked on dozens of gamecube and have never seen anything like it. I even put a disc on the spindle and pushed down hard on the disc edge while manually rotating it. No contact at all. I'm at a loss ... it does play the discs, but puts more and more scratches ... I haven't left one going long enough to stop it from working.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:52 pm

ThePatriotGamer wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:56 am
Thanks for answering! That's the weirdest part, I've worked on dozens of gamecube and have never seen anything like it. I even put a disc on the spindle and pushed down hard on the disc edge while manually rotating it. No contact at all. I'm at a loss ... it does play the discs, but puts more and more scratches ... I haven't left one going long enough to stop it from working.
Could be that the laser lens itself is coming up too high and scratching them, this is pretty unheard of though, especially if you aren't getting any read errors. You should watch it in action with no case to properly diagnose it, might as well put a XenoGC in and use some DVD-R for your tests to avoid scratching real games.