Help burning emus for my viper

All your console related questions and answers :)
siphoned

Help burning emus for my viper

Post by siphoned » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:54 pm

Hey, I've been playing the wonderful NES and SNES emulators on my cube for awhile now. At first my cube was cabled to my PC and I streamed the dols, then I loaded gcos to my memory card and used the action replay to kick it off. All the time the emulators keep getting better and better. Much thanks to everyone who helped bring emulators/loaders to my cube. I burned the main dol and roms to mini office depot dvd-r disc and started playing them on a cube with a xeno chip installed so I could boot the disc directly. They play fine and everything is great with that. However, I just installed a viper chip to another cube and the disc don't play on the viper cube. I was hoping someone could help me out and tell me why.

The viper cube is a dol-001 with the large disc replacement shell. The install looks fine and the cube boots directly to cobra bios 1.6 version. It boots retail discs OK and the cobra ripper can copy a retail disc to my PC just fine. I can then burn that image off and play it on my softmod gcos cube and my xeno cube just fine. Yet my viper cube will not play the disc. Is there a trick to burning games/emulators to play on the viper? I tryed using mini memorex dvd-r and full size sony dvd-r. Is it a problem with the laser or the way I'm burning the image? Any ideas? Much thanks.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Help burning emus for my viper

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:59 pm

Does any backup media work on the viper gamecube? If not, sounds like it's having a hard time reading the discs. I always recommend Ritek G05 mini dvd-r. G04 and G05 only have slight differences, but G04 was always the preferred for the GC (they're too hard to come by now).
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:40 am

I've tryed Office Depot brand -R mini disc with ID RitekG04 01,
Memorex -R mini disc with ID RitekG04 01,
Maxell -R full size with ID RitekF1,
Sony -R and +R full size with ID SONYD12 00.

I have been using Nero to burn and all burns work fine with my other cubes but not on the Viper. I havn't tested the full size discs on the xeno cube yet (I will need to remove the shell). The viper won't read any backed up media at all. So it sounds like the laser in the viper is near dead? Good enough to read retail disc but not burned discs. I may have to try the viper in another cube than.
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:28 am

i had the same problem with mine. had to adjust the pot, after that it was able to read full-size Ritek G04 media
maxBirdy

Post by maxBirdy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:37 am

emu_kidid wrote:Does any backup media work on the viper gamecube? If not, sounds like it's having a hard time reading the discs. I always recommend Ritek G05 mini dvd-r. G04 and G05 only have slight differences, but G04 was always the preferred for the GC (they're too hard to come by now).

emu_kidid, are these g05's?

Code: Select all

http://www.ritek.com/p2-pro1-dvd_m.asp
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:50 am

maxBirdy wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:Does any backup media work on the viper gamecube? If not, sounds like it's having a hard time reading the discs. I always recommend Ritek G05 mini dvd-r. G04 and G05 only have slight differences, but G04 was always the preferred for the GC (they're too hard to come by now).

emu_kidid, are these g05's?

Code: Select all

http://www.ritek.com/p2-pro1-dvd_m.asp

I usually just buy from eBay or online shops that specify the Manufacturer ID being RITEKG05 and you should be good.
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Finally got around to fixing my cube. Much thanks @ emu and AC. It was the laser. Adjusted the pot to 250 and everything is great. It plays any media I try. Thanks again.