Is it possible to copy savegames from memory card to computer using the BBA?

All your console related questions and answers :)
Raiko

Is it possible to copy savegames from memory card to computer using the BBA?

Post by Raiko » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:09 am

My GeckoSD is in the mail for the next couple of weeks so I figured I would see if it was possible to copy game files from my memory card to my computer via the BBA. Using the PSO exploit I was able to get Swiss running on the GC. I'm able to view the files and I can see the swiss.ini that was created on the memory card. Is there any way to access it or update it through the broadband connection? Or do I just patiently wait for ebay to deliver my package? Thanks in advance for any advice!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to copy savegames from memory card to computer using the BBA?

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:54 am

Go back to 2003 with ctr-gcs :P You can download ctr-gcs from here. Check that thread about how to use it on a modern day PC and check the readme in the .zip as well. Good luck!
Raiko

Re: Is it possible to copy savegames from memory card to computer using the BBA?

Post by Raiko » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:19 am

Thank you! I didn't know tools other than GCMM existed for copying memory card data! I'm still having a few issues, everything freezes when gcs (1.3) tries to send the dol. I swapped memory cards to an official nintendo one and then it wouldn't even connect with psoload despite the settings being identical. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I use the official one to actually play pso online? My first one was just an empty spare I picked up to experiment with. Ah well, guess I'll play around with it some more and see if I can get it working. Thanks again!

Edit: Okay, so using the latest version of psuload instead of the included psoload gets the it to load the dol... and then I get the "Not connected" screen. Well, it's kind of like progress...

Edit 2: Well, the problem seems to be that I'm an idiot. I've managed to get the official card working (it turns out I had the wrong info on the network settings for pso. Curse my arrogance in thinking I knew the IPs by heart already after entering them so many times.) Likewise, the "Not connected" screen is a lie and opening a cmd prompt and using the commands will yield results. Gonna try the other memory card after this. Probably won't work but ehh, I'm feeling optimistic now!
Thanks again emu_kidid! :D

Edit 3: Because apparently I'm sharing my life story now... So the 3rd party memory card worked well enough for pulling data off of it, .sav and .raw. files were saved on my computer. For some reason however my nintendo brand card would let me save .sav files, but whenever I try to dump the whole card it freezes. Dolphin can't read the .sav files (there's some error about a header that I have to look into a bit more), but it pulls .gci files off the raw data beautifully. So I, thinking myself very clever, thought to restore the .sav files I pulled from the Nintendo card to the 3rd party one that let me save the raw. Predictably, that caused it to corrupt. I WILL play my gamecube games on nintendont, damnit! Back to the drawing board I guess...