PAL disc reader on NTSC system

All your console related questions and answers :)
cagerhager

PAL disc reader on NTSC system

Post by cagerhager » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:33 pm

I have a PAL and NTSC system and my NTSC laser isn't working. If I put the PAL disc reader on the NTSC board, would I fry the thing or cause damage? Short is, could I put a PAL reader on an NTSC system and play NTSC games without damage or is it region locked as well?
StarkNebula

Re: PAL disc reader on NTSC system

Post by StarkNebula » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:55 pm

I cannot confirm but I would suspect you could. What's nice about the GameCube is the Power Supply Unit is outside the console. Each region converts the local power grid into a consistent one for use by the GameCube. In the end, the GameCube takes in 12v DC 3.25A which is the output of any PSU, given the proper input (220v PAL, 120v NA, 110v JP). I don't think you would fry anything in doing so, but I'm not sure if the DVD drive has region information in it. It would make sense if the drive was generic for all regions as it would complicate manufacturing otherwise. Again, I suggest waiting for a more accurate, confident answer.

My recommendation, if you can afford it, would be to keep a lookout for the next pre-order round for a GC Loader ODE (Optical Drive Emulator), link below. This way you could keep both your GameCubes in functioning condition by upgrading one of them. It's a Plug and Play (PNP) solution, so trivial to install. You can also 3D print a nice mount for it to keep the original look and feel. There are a few benefits to doing this, such as some games loading quicker compared to the DVD drive. All drives are going to fail someday (we're nearing 15-19 years of age now), so it won't be too much longer before we have to start finding alternatives anyway.
https://shop.dansprojects.com/gc-loader-pnp.html
Diego borella

Re: PAL disc reader on NTSC system

Post by Diego borella » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:22 pm

cagerhager wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:33 pm
I have a PAL and NTSC system and my NTSC laser isn't working. If I put the PAL disc reader on the NTSC board, would I fry the thing or cause damage? Short is, could I put a PAL reader on an NTSC system and play NTSC games without damage or is it region locked as well?
can use, there is already a topic about it ... there are no risks. :geek:

https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2694
:idea: :geek: SWISS USER :geek: :idea:
DEBUG IS NECESSARY :arrow: :ugeek: