Having trouble importing saves to memory card

All your console related questions and answers :)
Daman

Having trouble importing saves to memory card

Post by Daman » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:56 pm

Hey guys, I'm having trouble importing a save file to a memory card, it's from Pokemon XD, the file is mine from a couple years ago wich I backed up by copying it with swiss, now I'm trying to restore it, but everytime I try to do it, it shows as a corrupted save file, in the gamecube's memory card manager it shows a blank image and the name as "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ"
I tried both copying it back from swiss and with GCMM, but both of them result in a bad import. I tried with other games, such as Colosseum and Rogue Squadron and same results. I tried opening the pokemon savefiles with PKHeX just to confirm if the saves themselves are corrupt but the program picks them up just fine.
Papy.G

Re: Having trouble importing saves to memory card

Post by Papy.G » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:58 pm

I'm afraid SWISS messed with your file first when picking that off the Memcard.

I don't know how it is going now with the latest releases, but I learnt a long time ago not to rely on SWISS to copy saves nor dump discs.

Do you still have the original memcard and file so you can back it up properly with GCMM?

If not, it may not be totally ruined, but you can still have a hard time getting it back to functionnal.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:25 am

Daman wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:56 pm
Hey guys, I'm having trouble importing a save file to a memory card, it's from Pokemon XD, the file is mine from a couple years ago wich I backed up by copying it with swiss, now I'm trying to restore it, but everytime I try to do it, it shows as a corrupted save file, in the gamecube's memory card manager it shows a blank image and the name as "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ"
I tried both copying it back from swiss and with GCMM, but both of them result in a bad import. I tried with other games, such as Colosseum and Rogue Squadron and same results. I tried opening the pokemon savefiles with PKHeX just to confirm if the saves themselves are corrupt but the program picks them up just fine.
1 - Create a new save in the GameCube and extract only with the GCMM .

2 - Open the new file and the one with problems with HxD.

3 - Check whether the difference between the first lines.

4 - If there is any difference, make the changes to the old file. Make small changes, something like 4 values at a time, import with GCMM and test.

It can be just a game Id issue or other simple information removed by Swiss during the process. And do backup before you start all this.

This procedure will only work if the two files have the same size. If the damaged file is smaller, you will need to add the values. Do not replace.

It is quite likely that it is the first values. It is not so difficult to identify this.
Daman

Post by Daman » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:05 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:58 pm
Do you still have the original memcard and file so you can back it up properly with GCMM?
Yep, I've tried already with the same memcard and with other official memcards... no dice
Andross89 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:25 am
1 - Create a new save in the GameCube and extract only with the GCMM .

2 - Open the new file and the one with problems with HxD.

3 - Check whether the difference between the first lines.

4 - If there is any difference, make the changes to the old file. Make small changes, something like 4 values at a time, import with GCMM and test.

It can be just a game Id issue or other simple information removed by Swiss during the process. And do backup before you start all this.

This procedure will only work if the two files have the same size. If the damaged file is smaller, you will need to add the values. Do not replace.

It is quite likely that it is the first values. It is not so difficult to identify this.
Hm... I'll try this tomorrow
Daman

Post by Daman » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:37 am

Okay, so I tried the hex thing and while I had trouble getting it to the memcard (no space available?) some things are corrupted like the OT and stuff like that, but I could get my pokemons out untouched, wich is perfect, thanks lads.