orange GC converted to USA wont play PAL in color

All your console related questions and answers :)
jumbohotdogs100

orange GC converted to USA wont play PAL in color

Post by jumbohotdogs100 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:53 am

i had bought a Gamecube for the obvious purpose of getting back into said games, and eventually got around to finding a copy of Luigis Mansion PAL. i tried playing it for the first time with action replay, only to see it was in black and white. i played through till i unlocked the Hidden Mansion, then bought additional parts to attempt playing in color. i bought these items precisely

ZHIYUEN® SCART to HDMI Converter, Audio Video Converter Scaler Adapter with USB Power Cable Compatible Support 720p/1080P Output https://a.co/d/3Ijxmej

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154958480691?m ... media=COPY

onn. 6ft A/V Composite Cable, RCA Connectors, 100008650

in order to hopefully get it working, only to be met with a blue screen saying “No Signal”. some help in solving this would be greatly appreciated since, i figured converting a scart to hdmi was supposed to work. i can hear all the audio perfectly fine, but theres no video. and with everything plugged in, i could see and hear everything in the action replay disc before booting Luigis Mansion PAL
Ironcraft456

Re: orange GC converted to USA wont play PAL in color

Post by Ironcraft456 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:30 am

I'm not sure on this, but two things I can think of...one being the converter you're using, the chinese aren't known for their quality a lot of the time. As a replacement(though undoubtedly more expensive)...maybe try the RetroTink 2x SCART? Another issue is it seems you converted your PAL system to NTSC or USA region(based on title)? A lot of our TVs(mainly older ones) can't handle the 50hz video signal from PAL standard, so it's possible you should try it on a different monitor/TV to see if there's anything different. I know the TV I now use as a computer monitor that's from at least 2008 doesn't support 50hz.
jumbohotdogs100

Post by jumbohotdogs100 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:45 am

i think it was a Japanese gamecube that was converted to USA, since i read that apparently orange gamecubes were only sold in Japan. as for the products i got, which do you think were bad? the cord, the converter or both? (i ask because the cord itself was shipped from Hong Kong, and the converter apparently from the US but it is a brand im unsure how to pronounce) i have also tried what you suggested and connected it to a monitor for my computer. it doesnt seem to run in 50Hz and displays the same blue screen ive been seeing, only there is no audio this time coming from my speakers. my television is a Vizio that has hdmi, av and component capabilities that i know of
jumbohotdogs100

Post by jumbohotdogs100 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:50 am

id like to know asap if i should get a refund on any or all items since id rather have the money to get the necessary components i need to be able to play Luigis Mansion PAL colored. im not super technologically inclined and am prone to picking the easy solutions. id rather hear from someone who has an idea of what they are talking about rather than myself, since i have already searched around this forum and found next to nothing of note for my problem
jumbohotdogs100

Post by jumbohotdogs100 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:56 am

sorry for many messages at once, but i just got in contact with the guy who sold me the scart cable. he explained that it was exclusively meant for PAL and not JAP nor USA Gamecubes. i verified my stupidity and lack of attention by checking the page and seeing the disclaimer. i currently have another scart cable on the way MEANT for ntsc Gamecubes and am going to keep the converter for the moment
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:16 pm

The fact is you got a bad pick, given Luigi's mansion is one of the (not so) few games that only support 50Hz in their Pal version.

No device is supposed to expect ntsc colour burst and 50Hz. In Europe, Pal and 60Hz is a little more supported, and we have native RGB on GameCubes and TVs as well anyways.

Original RCA cable will only give you composite video on any GC, even trough RCA-scart adapter.
RGB scart cable will only give you composite video on a NTSC GC.
The only way to get RGB on an NTSC GC is via the digital AV port (if you're lucky enough to have a Dol-001, not a Dol-101), either with Nintendo's dedicated cable, or with a GCVideo RGB enhanced device.

At last, if you use a digital display, just don't bother with analog signals, go get a GCVideo HDMI plug, you'll be ok.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
jumbohotdogs100

Post by jumbohotdogs100 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:20 pm

mine is indeed a dol-001, will a set of component cables going through digital output like this work?
Retro-Bit Retro Prism Component Cable for Gamecube https://a.co/d/5jc86iO

if this doesnt work, i have an sd launcher and found a code online that can supposedly force a 60hz option, though im still working on getting an sd card ready to load it
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:53 pm

Yes they will work, but if you have a digital display, go the digital way all along with HDMI instead, component connections are analog so they are potentially exposed to interferences.

I have some 50Hz only games, and can tell you it's a bad Idea to try to force them to 60Hz, you probably won't need that as there is no more NTSC or PAL differences going all digital.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
jumbohotdogs100

Post by jumbohotdogs100 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:11 pm

i dont know for sure if its a digital television, but i know it supports all 5 color cables that come with a set of component cables. i will settle towards getting that and hope for the best, thank you
jumbohotdogs100

Post by jumbohotdogs100 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:00 am

update and conclusion to the topic: i got the retro prism component cables and they work like a dream. i can finally play Luigis Mansion PAL in color as intended. i appreciate the patience working with a noob like me, i at least know what to do now. next step: figure out what im doing wrong with importing cheats for Luigis Mansion PAL using Swiss
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:45 pm

Digital displays are those flat panel TVs, analog ones are the old school big CRTs.
In a chain where both digital and analog are mixed anyway, the less you convert from one to the other, the better.

Still, on a digital display, component is supposed to look better than RGB, only if you don't experience interferences, and with the help of progressive scan.